Senior Associate Director, Data Reporting and Analysis
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Uncommon-Wide Operations
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
Location(s): Brooklyn, NY
Team: New York City Regional School Support Team (Operations)
Hiring Start Time: May 2020
About the Role
The Senior Associate Director (SAD) is responsible for stewarding and managing student and teacher data in service of state and local reporting and compliance for all of Uncommon’s schools in New York State! SAD is also responsible for a number of other critical workstreams that directly support of schools and the region.
- Steward the management of local, state, and other compliance and data reporting across all of New York, including:
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of both state and local reporting requirements;
- Develop systems for data collection, preparation, and validation that are focused on taking work off of school teams whenever possible;
- Create systems for working with regional ops team members in Rochester and Troy in handling their schools’ NY State reporting;
- Management of compliance and data reporting, including:
- Work with local, NY State, federal, and other systems to report student data, including but not limited to: Regional Information Centers, BOSCES, ATS, VADIR, Teacher Access and Authorization, PD system, the IRS portal, and the Federal Civil Rights Data system.
- Leading data collection and reporting for Charter Renewal and reporting
- Working closely with regional and school operations teams to run timelines for data submission to ensure collection, preparation, accuracy, and validation
- Work closely with Uncommon’s central data management team and the AD of Data in Troy and Rochester to streamline the collection and management of student and staff data, including:
- Coordinate with Data/IT team around Start of Year and End of Year processes in our internal PowerSchool student data system, including schedule creation and closing out the school year;
- Collect state exam scores;
- Management of regional tools used to track student and staff data, including coordination with vendors as needed;
- Ensuring school data accuracy by conducting data audits and coordinating with schools, regions, and home office teams to improve systems supporting data accuracy; and
- Defining and documenting data collection processes.
- Teacher certification data: Maintain teacher certification records as needed for the purpose of compliance as well as meeting certification goals
- Complete various projects related to data integrity and systems at the organization-wide, regional, and school level;
- Data analysis projects, as assigned by the Managing Director of Operations for NY State, the Associate Chief Operating Officers, and Director of School Support of Brooklyn
- Lead and coordinate all billing pertaining to student enrollment, liaising with accounting teams
- Additional duties and projects as needed and assigned in support of our NYC schools
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree a plus;
- At least five years of work experience;
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel;
- Familiarity with PowerSchool or other student data management systems preferred;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong customer service approach and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with local and State Data Platforms preferred;
- Maturity and ability to work independently;
- Passion for the mission of Uncommon Schools;
- A desire to work on a high-performing team and take on additional projects, be creative, and propose new solutions;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred
- Ability to be self-directed and take initiative as well as to work collaboratively
- Quick and effective learner in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that proactively seeks feedback to improve
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully balance multiple projects concurrently
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.