- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Accounting
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Associate Director of Accounting will support the Senior Associate Director of Payroll on all aspects of payroll and pension including associated bookkeeping/accounting functions. In addition, the Associate Director will provide support to the Associate Director of Accounting of school’s support throughout the year, the annual audit process and working closely with others to assist with team initiative, projects, and reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage all aspects of current and future payroll processing and provide comprehensive quality control to achieve on time, error free payrolls.
· Assist the Senior Associate Director of Payroll with Time and Attendance requests
· Respond to payroll data requests by utilizing ADP custom reporting tool
· Manage Quarter End and Year End Payroll processing
· Create all payroll and pension related journal entries
· Maintain ADP System interface and own the preparation of all payroll related reporting
· Prepare for and support the annual audit
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Senior Associate Director of Accounting and works closely with the entire Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
· Accounting background
· Experience with Payroll Accounting programs (preferably ADP Workforcenow and Time and Attendance)
· Understanding of accounting principles and experience with Journal Entries
· Skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
· Experience in bookkeeping for a multi-site organization preferred
· Skilled in use of MS Excel.
· MS Word experience
· Strong writing capabilities.
· Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong communication skills
· Financial management skills
· Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
· Strong problem-solving abilities
· Ability to work well in a team
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
2) Educational background:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
· Minimum 2-3 years of experience in non-profit development, accounting, or public sector finance preferred.
· Knowledge of non-profit accounting and public sector finance.
· Experience in New Jersey K-12 public education preferred
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.