Director of HR Operations
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Human Resources
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
Human Resources Team Overview
The Uncommon Human Resources (HR) team, based in New York City, provides HR support to 2,500+ staff members across 54 schools and the Home Office (HO). The HR operations team is undergoing an exciting transformation to scale up and improve its services which include: onboarding, compensation and benefits administration, workplace policies, employee relations and employee data management.
We are seeking an energetic and highly skilled Director of Human Resources (HR) Operations with experience in scaling transactional HR operations and developing strong processes. The Director of HR will build and implement an HR operational model to transform our current transactional processes, effectively implement HR policies and improve services to staff. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Leadership and Planning
- Lead the near and long-term strategic planning efforts across the team
- Develop a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan to scale HR operations for our growing, multi-site organization.
- Collaborates with home office teams to design and implement a coordinated and seamless approach to serve schools.
HR Operations and Support to Schools
- Design and execute an effective operational HR model that will improve transactional HR systems and maximize efficiencies.
- Lead process documentation, improvement, and re-design for the HR team.
- Provide expert counsel regional and school leaders on consistent interpretation and application of policies.
- Lead communications, support and relationship management with regional leaders to ensure sound HR processes are implemented and followed.
- In collaboration with the HRIS team, operations, and Data/IT, support the implementation of a new HRIS system and related tools.
HR Policies and Compliance
- Stay on top of changes to local, state, and federal laws (across all 6 Uncommon regions) that could impact personnel policies, processes, etc.
- Propose and recommend any policy changes to ensure adherence to legal requirements organizational needs, etc.
- Serve as the ultimate point of escalation for questions/issues on HR services and policies.
- Serve as an outstanding role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing HR team members and growing their subject matter expertise.
- Establish team performance metrics and individual staff goals, and leads team to concrete outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in administrative management of HR operations
- Broad knowledge of human resources policies and procedures and their application in the day-to-day working environment.
- Experience in designing and scaling HR operations to support multi-site organizations.
- Knowledge of federal and state (NY, NJ, and/or MA) regulations related to administration of HR operations and data systems
Skills and Experience
- Entrepreneurial approach and outstanding problem-solving skills; able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency while meeting tight deadlines
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills that lead to systems thinking
- Strong client-focus and an ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Excellent people management-skills, with the ability to attract, retain and develop exceptional talent
- Ability to project manage with expert attention to detail
- Ability to move comfortably between high level critical thinking and intricate details
- Deep commitment to self-reflection and continued growth
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.