Associate Director of Recruitment
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Recruitment
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
The Associate Director of Recruitment will be responsible for selecting strong candidates for two of our most important talent workstreams:
- Uncommon’s Summer Teaching Fellowship (STF) program: a unique, highly competitive teacher recruitment and preparation program designed to introduce college juniors from underrepresented backgrounds to teaching and urban education reform and
- Uncommon’s Home Office: a group of ~250 staff members that support and manage our 54 schools using their functional expertise to help Uncommon achieve its mission.
This role will focus on STF hiring from September to April and Home office hiring from April to September.
Essential duties & responsibilities
- Cares Deeply about and can articulate a thorough understanding of Uncommon Schools, our Home Office and Summer Teaching Fellowship Program.
- Manages candidate relationships from recruitment through the application process, and enthusiastically communicates the benefits of working at Uncommon Schools.
- Assesses all candidates via application review, phone and video screening, and partners closely with school leaders and Home Office managers to coordinate and run in-person-interview processes.
- Ensures accurate data in all of our recruitment systems and analyzes data to identify and address trends in real time and make changes to selection strategies as needed.
- Partners closely with Uncommon’s Outreach and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team to provide feedback on candidate pipelines and to ensure a strong onboarding process to our STF program
Required knowledge, skills & characteristics
- Driven and energized by the knowledge that he/she is helping build a diverse workforce at Uncommon to better serve our students, families, and communities.
- Passionate dedication to the mission of Uncommon Schools
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-through; high sense of urgency;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully prioritize multiple projects concurrently and work independently.
- Outstanding problem-solving and critical thinking skills and ability to use data to drive decision-making
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop systems that achieve efficiency and scalability.
- Ability to learn quickly and to be effective and take initiative in a fast-paced, dynamic, ambitious environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Willingness and ability to travel
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.