Middle School Performing Arts Teacher (Immediate Start)
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 19-20)
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Teachers hold primary responsibility for the implementation and development of Uncommon’s curriculum and the success of its students. Therefore, Uncommon Schools seeks teachers who are committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction.
- Plan and teach varied content area curriculum.
- Performing Arts only: Design, direct and produce school productions annually, and community meetings weekly.
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters & lives of students in & out of school
- Show unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving greatness.
- Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students embrace the school’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct
- Implement curricula and activities to meet grade level content area standards.
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
- Participate in the collaborative curriculum development process.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior.
- Share responsibility for grade-level and school-wide activities.
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs.
- Engage families in their children’s education
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom;
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for content subject area;
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.