Director of Development -- Capital Campaigns
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Development
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Location: This role can be based in either Rochester, NY (with limited travel or NYC) or NYC (with 30% travel to Rochester)
Lead a groundbreaking capital campaign for Uncommon Schools’ Rochester Prep High School (RPHS) and provide campaign oversight for capital campaigns Uncommon-wide. Build and execute, with the support of the Uncommon Development team, a campaign to meet fundraising goals in Rochester. Provide guidance and strategic direction on the development of other campaigns across Uncommon.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Campaign Director will lead all aspects of a $7 million capital campaign to build the first permanent home for Rochester Prep High School, a beacon of excellence in Rochester, NY! In addition, they will use his or her expertise to create alignment and provide strategic guidance for Uncommon capital campaigns being launched in Boston, MA and Camden, NJ.
The Director will be a strategic, adaptable leader with strong relationship management and project management skills. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Crafting a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan to own the capital campaign for RPHS in Rochester, NY.
- Working with the Board of Trustees to identify prospects and strategies;
- Fundraising and donor relationship management including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship;
- Building and staffing a campaign committee and supporting the campaign’s volunteer leadership;
- Developing campaign marketing materials;
- Crafting internal and external reporting to share progress;
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
- Experience cultivating, closing, and stewarding gifts at every level.
- Experience with a capital campaign.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
- Positive relationship management skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong project management and implementation skills.
- Experience managing Boards or other volunteer leadership.
- A robust knowledge of the Rochester philanthropic community.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Collaborative and team-oriented.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit fundraising
- Ability to work in Rochester a minimum of 30% of the time; ability to work in New York City approximately one day per month.
- A bachelor’s degree.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.