Associate Director of Data Reporting and Analysis
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: August 2019 Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Associate Director of Data Reporting and Analysis manages data regarding students and teachers, including state data compliance, internal data management, and various data projects. The position is on the Rochester regional team, and will report to the Rochester Director of School Support, but will also serve Uncommon Schools in Troy. The position will work closely with school and regional leaders in Rochester and Troy, as well members of Uncommon’s home office teams.
- Management of local, state and other external compliance and data reporting for the Rochester and Troy regions of Uncommon Schools, including:
- Interfacing with local, New York State, federal, and other systems to report student data, including but not limited to: Regional Information Centers, New York State’s Level 0, Level 1, VADIR, Teacher Access and Authorization, PD system, and the IRS portal, and the Federal Civil Rights Data system.
- Managing data collection and reporting for Charter Renewal.
- Managing timelines for data submission to ensure preparation and accuracy;
- Creating and managing data validation processes;Creating and managing teacher certification processes in support of schools;
- Coordinating with school and regional leaders on the timeline and data validation process;
- Maintaining a working knowledge of current reporting requirements; and
- Providing status reports regarding our compliance.
- Management of internal data processes in collaboration with Uncommon’s central data management team and Curriculum and Assessment team, including:
- Management of Start of Year and End of Year processes in our internal PowerSchool student data system, including schedule creation and closing out the school year;
- Acting as the point person for PowerSchool questions in Rochester and Troy;
- Management of online tools used to track student data, including coordination with vendors;
- Ensuring school data accuracy by conducting data audits and coordinating with schools, regions, and home office teams to improve systems supporting data accuracy;
- Defining and documenting data collection processes; and
- Responding to requests for data for analysis purposes.
- Various projects related to data integrity and systems at the school and regional level;
- Data analysis projects, as assigned by the Rochester Associate Chief Operating Officer and Director of School Support; and
- Additional duties and special projects as needed and assigned in support of Rochester schools
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- At least three years of work experience;
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel;
- Familiarity with local and State Data Platforms preferred;
- Familiarity with PowerSchool or other student data management systems preferred;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong customer service approach and communication skills;
- Maturity and ability to work independently;
- Passion for the mission of closing the achievement gap;
- A desire to work on a high-performing team and take on additional projects, be creative, and propose new solutions;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative as well as to work collaboratively
- Quick and effective learner in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that proactively seeks feedback to improve
- Strong organizational/time management skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task, set and drive priorities, monitor progress towards goals, and utilize data and information
- Strategic thinker with exceptional problem-solving skills and critical thinking skills
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.