Manager of Strategic Initiatives
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
- HO Team: External Affairs
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Internal Title: Senior Associate Director of External Affairs
The Senior Associate Director of External Affairs is an essential member of the Uncommon NYC team that supports 24 schools in Brooklyn. The Senior Associate Director of External Affairs will help facilitate annual planning, ensure effective governance with the Board of Trustees and charter authorizer, and help manage external partnerships and initiatives, and lead team development, budget and operations. This role reports to the Senior Director, NYC.
- Facilitate Uncommon NYC Board of Trustees management including strategy, relationships and communications, meeting content, and new Trustee recruitment.
- Monitor and respond to changes in state, local, and charter authorizer policy.
- Oversee charter reporting and renewal process with Uncommon NYC’s authorizer.
- Partnerships and Communications
- Manage partnership with NYC DOE, including collaboration on school space and Impact program that trains district teachers and leaders.
- Manage Regional Coordinator on website updates, social media, family newsletters, and external visits to schools.
- Represent Uncommon NYC with key external stakeholders and partners as needed.
- Collaborate with internal Uncommon teams (e.g. regional operations, instruction, Home Office external affairs teams, and schools) on governance and external affairs projects.
- Planning and Project Management
- Support annual planning process for NYC external affairs team.
- Develop and manage accountability and project management tools to ensure goals are met.
- Monitor local SUNY and NYC DOE environment and make recommendations on issues or opportunities Uncommon NYC should prioritize.
- Team Management and Operations
- Manage Regional Coordinator.
- Partner with Senior Director, NYC on hiring, professional development, and team building.
- Manage team budget; train team on effective budget management.
- Serve as project manager for key external affairs events and initiatives as required.
- Build team systems, including but not limited to creating format for team meetings, codifying processes, and developing and implementing effective project management and other tools.
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent project management, implementation skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
- Strong manager, who is adept at managing up, down, and across.
- Ability to build relationships with various stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Ability to take initiative, manage competing priorities, and work independently.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced environment.
- Flexibility, comfort with ambiguity, and a sense of humor in the face of competing demands.
- Ability to learn quickly and respond to feedback.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Prior experience in education and/or alignment with Uncommon’s mission.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.