Regional Director of Facilities
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Real Estate & Facilities
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Regional Director of Facilities will be responsible for a team of Regional Facility Managers and General Maintenance Workers who are managing school/administrative buildings in Newark, NJ. The Regional Director of Facilities will be responsible for developing and implementing the strategic planning, which includes managing a facilities team, day-to-day facility operations, managing preventative maintenance, overseeing building staff, managing vendors to provide critical building services, and maintaining facility budgets. This position will report directly to the Real Estate Team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Lead a facilities team for the development and execution of a facilities management and preventive maintenance plans; ensure appropriate expertise and resources are in place to meet requirements and respond to requests in a courteous, timely, and highly effective manner; manage the team for the repair, maintenance, and continuous operation of all building systems including: fire/life safety, Mechanical (HVAC, plumbing), Electrical (lighting control equipment, bulb replacement, UPS, light construction (painting, doors, locks), digital systems (fire alarm, card access, CCTV security access systems), elevator control, Building Maintenance System (BMS)(DDC), and audio-visual systems, etc.
· Manage facilities team (four to six people) and establish / enforce communication chain of command
· Oversee the completion of preventive maintenance and reactive repair maintenance activities
· Work with facilities team to respond to and coordinate all emergency call activities, as necessary
· Ensure building staff requests are being responded to in a timely manner through the online ticketing system (CMMS)
· Manage facilities team in coordinating required governmental inspections, and to ensure that regular inspections of all areas of the building are being completed as expected
· Manage facilities team in ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, which includes maintaining up-to-date building documentation and certifications
· Ensure compliance with local regulations regarding vendor procurement
· When necessary, oversee and assist facilities team in obtaining and leveling bids for recommendation to School Staff and Real Estate Team
· Develop and manage facility budget with collaboration from facilities team, School Staff, Real Estate Team and finance
· Review and approve purchase orders and invoices in web-based accounting software
· Attend necessary school meetings to support facilities team
· Hold facilities team and outside vendors accountable to ensure the strategic plan is implemented and managed, as intended
· Desire to manage a team and to consistently improve as a unit
· Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of school
· Implement and enhance the school’s systems and culture
· Build professional relationships and collaborate with the Supervisor, Vendors and school staff to maximize the ability of Uncommon Schools to support student learning and socio-emotional development
· Performs other related duties as required and assigned
· Create high accountability for one’s self as well as building staff and vendors
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
· Associate’s degree or equivalent
· 5 or more years’ progressive responsibility and experience in facilities management
· Ability and willingness to directly manage a team (four to six people)
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
· Familiarity with key building systems (HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing)
· Familiarity with OSHA and other Life Safety codes, etc.
· Computer skills necessary to operate BMS system and a personal computer; knowledge of Microsoft office
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through
· Ability to communicate effectively with facilities staff, school staff, and vendors both verbal and electronic
· Available to work weekends when necessary
· Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities
· New Jersey low pressure black seal boiler, HVAC or other certificate, training or licenses a plus
· Able to pass a criminal record history check given by the Department of Education
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.