Onsite Facility Manager
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
- HO Team: Real Estate & Facilities
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Assist in the development and execution of a facilities management and preventive maintenance plans; participate in the management and motivation of building staff; foster an atmosphere of teamwork among building staff, school staff, and contractors; ensure appropriate expertise and resources are in place to meet requirements and respond to requests in a courteous, timely, and highly effective manner; manage the repair, maintenance, and continuous operation of all building systems including: fire/life safety, Mechanical (HVAC, plumbing), Electrical (lighting control equipment, bulb replacement, UPS, light construction (painting, doors, locks), digital systems (fire alarm, card access, CCTV security access systems), elevator control, Building Maintenance System (BMS)(DDC), and audio-visual systems, etc.
· Manage facility maintenance contracts
· Coordinate all preventive maintenance and reactive repair maintenance activities; oversee other building staff and vendors, if so required
· Respond to and coordinate all emergency call activities as necessary
· Maintain building exterior and grounds
· Respond to building staff requests regarding building operations; prioritize schedules; and assign, plan, and monitor the work through online ticketing system (CMMS)
· Assist in coordinating required governmental inspections, and regularly inspect all areas of the building and report deficiencies as well as suggestions for improvement
· Assist in ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations; maintain up-to-date building documentation and certifications
· Ensure compliance with local regulations regarding vendor procurement
· When necessary, obtain and level bids for recommendation to School Staff and Regional Director of Facilities
· Maintain all required administrative records including, but not limited to, log books, work records, maintenance records, contractor visits, keys issued, etc.
· Collaborate with School Staff, Regional Director of Facilities and finance to help develop and manage facility budget
· Inspect facilities on a rolling basis to ensure maintenance quality
· Attend necessary school meetings to support maintenance management activities as they relate to the school’s schedule
· Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of school
· Implement and enhance the school’s systems and culture
· Build professional relationships and collaborate with the Supervisor, Vendors and school staff to maximize the ability of Uncommon Schools to support student learning and socio-emotional development
· Performs other related duties as required and assigned
· Create high accountability for one’s self as well as building staff and vendors
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
· High school diploma or equivalent
· 3 or more years’ progressive responsibility and experience in facilities management.
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
· Familiarity with key building systems (HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing)
· Familiarity with OSHA and other Life Safety codes, etc.
· Computer skills necessary to operate BMS system and a personal computer; knowledge of Microsoft office
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through
· Ability to communicate effectively with facilities staff, school staff, and vendors both verbal and electronic
· Available to work weekends when necessary
· Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities
· New Jersey low pressure black seal boiler, HVAC or other certificate, training or licenses a plus.
· Able to pass a criminal record history check given by the Department of Education.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.