Director of Marketing & Communications
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Marketing
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
As Director of Marketing and Communications, you lead the marketing and communication strategy that brings our mission to life. Your team is focused on telling the stories of our outstanding students, teachers and staff, engaging the hearts and minds of our stakeholders, and celebrating our students’ successes. Working from our central office in NYC (the “Home Office”) and managing a team of fellow marketing professionals, you ensure that your team provides an exceptional level of service and expertise to our Home Office and regional teams.
Effective marketing, communications, and brand stewardship is critical to Uncommon’s success in serving our 20,000 students across 53 schools in 6 cities. Whether helping parents learn about our neighborhood schools, ensuring the best teachers join our team, or supporting our strong national brand reputation, your team plays a pivotal role in accomplishing our mission. The Director of Marketing & Communications reports to a member of Uncommon’s Executive Team.
- Lead communications and marketing strategy for Uncommon and strategic planning for the marketing team (e.g., brand strategy, goals , messaging, budget and spending priorities)
- Set creative direction and supervise design and production of content including photography, printed collateral and video
- Manage marketing team (currently: Senior Graphic Designer and two Associate Directors)
- Oversee strategic management of our core communications platforms including website, social, and newsletters
- Collaborate and steward the marketing strategy for staff recruitment and regional student recruitment
- Oversee paid digital marketing strategies, plans and execution
- Ensure schools and teams have the resources to seamlessly represent our brand
- Serve as a member of Uncommon’s Team Lead cohort, including serving as an organizational role model in cultivating a culture of high expectations and excellent service
- You thrive in a mission-driven environment and work with urgency to achieve results for our students and families
- You have exceptional proven strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- You are expert at setting marketing and messaging strategy and brand stewardship
- You have executed paid marketing campaigns with results to prove effectiveness
- You are a great manager and developer of people
- You are able to and enjoy operating at multiple levels: from developing high-level strategy to overseeing operational details
- You have exceptional project management skills and the ability to teach these skills to others
- You have a track record of making decisions based on robust data analysis
- You build relationships and can expertly navigate a complex organization
- You are able to deliver precise creative direction to result in stellar content creation
- You are an expert at managing vendors to achieve great outcomes
- 5+ years experience in marketing or other strategic management roles
- Proven track record of managing and executing data-driven marketing strategy and programs
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Experience with mission-driven marketing preferred
- Exposure to high-performing education reform and/or general academic settings preferred
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.