Professional Development Writer
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: K-12 Content Development
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Professional Development Writer will support Uncommon’s Content Development Team by contributing substantially to professional development publications. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, has superb writing skills, can manage many competing priorities and constituents, and can work efficiently under deadlines. The Professional Development Writer will report to the Chief Schools Officer.
- Assist the Chief Schools Officer in drafting books, research publications and presentations on topics including school leadership, data-driven instruction and curriculum for teachers and school leaders
- Write/edit letters, promotional materials (e.g., brochures, newsletters), website content, etc.
- Interview school leaders and teacher leaders from around the world to tell the story of how they achieve breakthrough results with students
- Coordinate with the Director of Leadership Development to capture video of the stories and bring the text to life
- Perform various administrative duties as required and assigned;
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to create and maintain an orderly, effective school organization;
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and work independently;
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines;
- Strong written and oral communication skills; demonstrates strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience editing texts, writing or curriculum design preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Creative writing experience preferred but not required.
- Willingness to travel 1-2 weeks per year
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.