Senior Project Manager
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Real Estate & Facilities
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Uncommon’s Real Estate & Facilities Team is responsible for ensuring the leasing, acquisition, development, financing, renovations and ongoing maintenance/compliance of high-quality facilities for Uncommon’s schools.
The Director of Real Estate & Facilities oversees the project management, administrative, technical, and supervisory work related to the operation of school facilities in New Jersey.
Site Identification, selection and acquisition:
· Develop possible short-term and long-term facility options for each school in existing public school space or in private/commercial/parochial facilities.
· Evaluate options based on budgetary and political constraints and secure best option.
· Interface with tenants and landlords to negotiate leases and ensure overall effective management of school sites.
· Oversee construction, remodeling, and repair projects for individual school sites according to budget, scope, and timeline.
· Plan, direct and review the activities and operations of USI facilities, including the civil, architectural, mechanical and structural planning and engineering of new construction, renovation and capital replacement.
· Ensure all code requirements are met.
· Assist in the development of comprehensive project budgets.
· Co-manage school relocation process and school opening
· Attain all necessary facility permits (zoning, certificate of occupancy, inspection, permits etc.).
· Work with Uncommon attorneys to ensure prudent execution of all facility related contracts.
· Identify, evaluate and recommend contractors, owner representatives, construction managers.
· Represent Uncommon Schools and its schools at legal, local, and community facility-related hearings.
On-going facility support:
· Support the Facility Management Roll out Initiative to ensure long-term/ capital planning is integrated with daily building operations. Serve as main liaison between Real Estate & Facilities Team and Regional Leadership.
· Work with Facilities Managers around facility planning and facility problem-solving.
· Research cost, prepare reports, and make recommendations regarding procurement of outside contractors for specific projects. Inspect completed work for compliance with specifications.
· Coordinate all lender and insurance related inspections for all building systems.
· Identify, evaluate and recommend property insurance policies.
· Provide other facility related support as needed
· Support the Real Estate, Finance, Real Estate Financing Consultants, and Development staff in execution on facility financing solutions, which may include: tax credit financing, conventional financing, and philanthropic support.
Strategic Planning and Regional Leadership
· Responsible for maintaining and updating strategic plan for team.
· Serve as main point of contact for all Real Estate & Facilities issues for New Jersey based schools.
· Run monthly meetings with Associate Chief Operating Officers to addresses needs and planning for New Jersey based schools.
Management – Direct Reports/ Cross Team
· Directly manage Associate Director of Real Estate & Facilities.
· Directly manage On-site Facility Manager serving Camden Prep.
· Collaborate closely with Community Engagement, Technology and Finance
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Senior Director of Real Estate & Facilities. Works closely with Managing Directors, Uncommon’s Director of Operations, and school-based Directors of Operations.
Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
· Demonstrated command of the intricacies of organization building, operations, and strategic planning.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Strong communication, influencing, and negotiating skills.
· Strong financial analysis and budget management skills.
· Ability to work well in a team.
· Exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships.
· Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
· Very strong organizational skills; an obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
Minimum educational level:
· Bachelor’s Degree required.
· MBA or J.D. preferred.
· 7+ years of related work experience in Real Estate Project Management or Development, Facilities Management or Building Operations.
· Experience managing architectural, engineering and construction contractors preferred.
· Experience with school operations systems preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.