General Maintenance Worker
- Camden, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
- HO Team: Real Estate & Facilities
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The General Maintenance Worker reports to the Onsite Facilities Manager and performs inspections, maintenance, and repairs to ensure that all students, staff, and the community are provided a safe, attractive, clean, and healthy environment for learning and work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Maintenance Worker shall:
· Perform general maintenance and repair tasks in a variety of areas and as assigned by the Onsite Facilities Manager and in accordance with all applicable codes and regulations.
· Perform regular inspections of equipment and systems, reporting any abnormalities and hazards immediately.
· Be able to assemble, move, and (re)arrange furniture.
· Mount objects to and repair walls.
· Be able to change locks, outlets, lightbulbs, ballast, switches, thermostats, filters, flushometers, toilet seat and covers.
· Ensure that the work site and conditions are safe.
· Perform assignments related to inclement weather and/or other urgent situations to ensure building readiness and the safety of all students and staff. This includes working cooperatively with other school employees, as necessary.
· Respond to emergency situations and perform necessary repairs.
· Responsible to utilize the CMMS work order software to document findings, next steps, and provide an estimated deadline for completion (if applicable).
· Document any repairs that are beyond the scope of your responsibilities, skill, or experience, outlining the work needed to be assisted by other team members or an outside contractor.
· Ensure that all applicable fire, safety, health, and environmental regulations and laws are observed or exceeded
· Maintain an adequate supply of parts and supplies usually used in repairs, and request needed supplies through the established procedures
· Operate all tools and equipment in a safe manner following manufactuers’ recommendations and operational condition all tools and equipment necessary to carry out job functions and responsibilities
· Report immediately any damage or vandalism to facilities, or theft of equipment
· Make recommendations for improvement in the effectiveness and efficiency of the maintenance operations
· Attend required meetings, including Right-To-Know and Safety Training, and serve, as appropriate, on staff committees
· Display a cooperative and pleasant attitude at all times, particularly when in the presence of staff, students, and community visitors
· Notify and assist the administration and appropriate emergency personnel with any emergency, and potentially dangerous or unusual situations
· Use computers and/or electronic equipment to fulfill job functions
· Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines
· Serve as a role model for students and staff in demonstrating positive attitudes, appropriate attire and grooming, and an effective work ethic
· Participate in appropriate in-service and workshop programs and attend any required meetings.
· Display ethical and professional behavior in working with students, parents, school personnel, and outside agencies associated with the school
· Adhere to federal statutes and regulations, New Jersey school law, State Board of Education rules and regulations, Uncommon Schools policies and procedures, and contractual obligations
· Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by the supervisors, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation
The Maintenance Worker shall:
· Have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent
· Ability to commute between school sites
· Demonstrate a general knowledge, experience, and proficiency in several areas of maintenance (e.g., plumbing, painting, carpentry, masonry/concrete/tile, window glazing, electrical, mechanical, HVAC and boiler systems, roof repair, plastering/spackling, field/playground maintenance, and furniture repair)
· Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community
· Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
· Ability to follow detailed written or verbal instructions
· Have the abilities and knowledge to use hand and power tools
· Able to pass a criminal record history check given by the Department of Education
· Possession of low-pressure black seal boiler license, HVAC training certificate or other trade licenses/training documentation preferred
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.