Behavior Support Specialist
- Troy, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Behavior Support Specialist at Uncommon will work with the school’s Dean of Students to ensure that all students demonstrate dramatic student achievement gains and internalize the school’s values. This individual will also help lead the school’s efforts to create a positive, structured, consistent, caring, and disciplined school culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with Dean of Students to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture.
- Supporting teachers to hold all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations.
- Serving as the point person for dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues.
- Acting as a resource to teachers in their instructional practice, especially as it relates to issues of discipline, relationships with students, classroom management, and school culture.
- Assisting teachers, students, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans.
- Leading staff efforts to ensure all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time, and working aggressively with students and parents to ensure excellent attendance.
- May participate in summer home visits highlighting the responsibilities of parents, teachers, and students.
- Arranging for efficient homework collection in the morning, and ensuring homework is delivered to staff from students appropriately and accurately.
- Helping to reinforce the effective use of a school-wide behavior plan, including managing the school’s demerit and rubric systems.
- Supporting as the Dean of Students as the point person for discipline/culture issues.
- Ensuring that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates student achievement
- Being highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has an exceptional school culture.
- Proactively circulating throughout classrooms and hallways during the day, to gain valuable context on student behavior and help support positive school culture Monitoring behavioral pull-out and in-school suspensions.
- Modeling the school’s values and the standard for professional behavior.
- Coordinating student apologies and school culture messages at Community Meeting.
- Supervising breakfast, lunch, in-between class transitions, enrichment, and dismissal, making sure students are always where they are supposed to be and ensuring a professional school culture at these times.
- Managing afterschool detention.
- Keeping accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior.
- Teaching at least one whole or small-group class.
- Tracking behavior on the school bus, ensuring students are exemplary bus riders to and from school.
- Ensuring that behavioral expectations and school culture standards are met outside of the classroom as well as inside, including establishing and monitoring bus behavior/culture as well as cafeteria/meal time behavior and culture
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues, and community members.
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.