Special Education Teacher (Immediate Start)
- Troy, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 19-20)
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Special Education Teacher is passionate about supporting the students who are at-risk for academic underperformance due to emotional and/or physical challenges so that they can succeed in the school’s rigorous academic program. The Special Education Teacher holds primary responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the school’s core academic program.
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters & lives of students both in and out of school.
- Show unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving greatness.
- Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
- Participate in the collaborative curriculum development process.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Share responsibility for grade-level and school-wide activities.
- Exhibit resilience to persevere and turn challenges into opportunities.
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Engage families in their children’s education.
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training.
- Mentor and engage another Teacher in instructional practice and professional development.
- Include a Teacher in daily classroom activities to help students meet academic standards.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting.
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.