- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: August 2019 Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of their students in and out of school;
- Implement and enhance the school’s systems and culture;
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct;
- Implement activities to help students meet academic and social standards
- Implement assessments that measure progress towards academic and social standards;
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic and community standards;
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues;
- Engage families in their children’s education;
- Respond to family concerns promptly and effectively;
- Commit to professional growth;
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training;
- Share responsibility for grade-level and school-wide activities;
- Help complete necessary school wide duties for the successful and orderly functioning of the school (e.g., hallway supervision, arrival/departure transitions, field trips, etc.) and other such duties as the Principal may request from time to time;
- Provide appropriate supervision of students during class, breaks, meals, specials, and transitions to maintain an optimal work environment and to ensure students’ safety and well-being;
- Attend and participate in events outside of normal school hours (e.g., family nights, student performances, field trips, report card nights, Teacher - Parent Conferences, June and August Family Saturday Orientations, etc.);
- Collaborate with teachers in planning grade level meetings, department meetings, staff meetings, and other professional development activities;
- Adhere to the policies, standards, and school-wide responsibilities described in the School’s Faculty & Staff Handbook or as may be instituted or in effect from time to time;
- Consistently demonstrate belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core values and educational philosophy;
- Seek state social worker certification on a timeline determined by the Principal;
- Provide direct services to the school community including:
- Provide crisis intervention and behavior management to expedite students’ return to classrooms for learning and to build students’ ability t meet the school’s high expectations
- Provide one-on-one counseling or group counseling as needed to students and families.
- Coordinate school meetings with families;
- Identify and train others to identify students and family members who may benefit from regular one-on-one counseling or group counseling;
- Develop and implement curriculum for social and emotional development/intervention with students.
- Manage administrative and appropriate direct-service elements of the referral process for social services and special education services including:
- Conducting regular needs-assessments of current and emerging student and family needs;
- Using needs-assessments to identify and cultivate internal and external resources and services;
- Referring individuals and families to external resources and services;
- Monitoring and facilitating the delivery of external resources and services;
- Evaluating impact and quality of external resources and services;
- Administering records, documentation, and other compliance activities.
- Partner with the Dean of Students to design and coordinate family-engagement and family-education activities including:
- Monthly Family meetings
- Home visits and records procurement for newly enrolled students;
- Workshops to educate families, staff, and/or students on specific issues; and
- Pot Lucks, Family Nights, and other community-building events.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
- Proven track-record of high achievement;
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; (Master’s degree in Social Work is required in NJ) and
- Experience working with and in urban schools is highly preferred.
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required (Valid School Social Worker Endorsement is required in NJ)
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
- In order to apply for a Social Worker position in one of our NYC schools, candidates must be New York State certified in at least one of the following areas 1) School Counselor 2) licensed master of social work (LMSW) 3) licensed clinician of social work (LCSW). These are the only 3 certifications that can provide IEP mandated services which is a requirement to become a Social Worker at Uncommon.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.