Special Education Teacher
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: August Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Special Education Teacher is passionate about supporting the students who are at-risk for academic underperformance due to emotional and/or physical challenges so that they can succeed in the school’s rigorous academic program. The Special Education Teacher holds primary responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the school’s core academic program.
- Work with general education and special education teachers to create, plan, and teach engaging lessons that address IEP goals to develop scholars as problem-solvers and critical thinkers.
- Design and implement curricula and activities that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Create a positive, structured learning environment, providing consistent rewards and/or consequences to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs and be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues and engage families in their children’s education.
- Collaborate with other teachers, school staff, and administrators to ensure that all our students climb the mountain to high school and college.
- Mentor and engage another Teacher in instructional practice and professional development.
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in our annual, three-week staff orientation training in August and instructional training throughout the school year
- Participate and support grade-level activities and school-wide functions throughout the school-year.
- Relentless drive to improve the minds, characters & lives of students both in and out of school
- Unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving greatness
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is a must
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
- Ability and desire to implement feedback from school leaders and colleagues to become a more effective educator in service to our students.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for relevant academic subjects.
- Evidence of self-motivation, willingness to be a team player, and a strong sense of personal responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting.
- Special Education teaching certification required
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.