Director of Development
- Boston, MA, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
- HO Team: Development
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Lead fundraising for Uncommon Schools Roxbury Prep, securing the private philanthropy to ensure that Roxbury Prep has the resources it needs to thrive in Boston. Create and implement a comprehensive development plan to reach operating and capital fundraising goals in Boston with the support of the Uncommon Development team. Reports to the Senior Director of Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Development works closely with Uncommon’s NYC-based Development team to raise private philanthropy to support the four Roxbury Prep schools in the Uncommon network. Since opening its first high school in fall 2015, Roxbury Prep is positioned to launch a capital campaign to build the high school’s permanent home.
The Director will be a strategic, adaptable leader with excellent relationship management and project management skills. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan to lead the capital campaign for the Roxbury Prep High School in Boston.
- Fundraising and donor relationship management in Boston including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship;
- Preparing, writing, and editing private grant proposals and reports;
- Identifying and supporting the campaign’s volunteer leadership;
- Staffing the Trustee Development Committee and managing the Board’s development functions
- Leading the planning and execution of donor visits, donor presentations and events;
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
- Experience cultivating, closing, and stewarding gifts at every level.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong project management and implementation skills.
- Experience managing Boards or other volunteer leadership.
- A robust knowledge of the Boston philanthropic community.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends and to travel to New York City periodically.
- Collaborative and team-oriented.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit fundraising
- A bachelor’s degree.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.