Special Education Coordinator (Immediate Start)
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Special Education Coordinator is passionate about supporting the students who are at-risk for academic underperformance due to emotional and/or physical challenges so that they can succeed in the school’s rigorous academic program. The Special Education Coordinator holds primary responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the school’s core academic program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that all students receive the educational services that they need to succeed;
- Identify incoming students’ special education needs as indicated by family questionnaire responses;
- Review the results of intake assessments of new students to identify special education needs;
- Schedule and providing pull-out services as needed;
- Schedule, coordinate, and chair team and pre-referral meetings;
- Conduct academic testing as part of the evaluation process;
- Coordinate and conducting classroom observations and testing (i.e. psychological) as needed;
- Ensure that all regular education teachers know and understand all classroom accommodations required by IEPs;
- Deliver one-on-one, small group, and whole class instruction as appropriate;
- Maintain student records regarding special education issues and preparing reports for regulatory agencies;
- Ensure compliance with all City, State, and Federal special education law and regulations;
- Contribute to the design of curriculum materials;
- Design and administer rigorous, standards-based assessments and using assessment data to refine curriculum and instruction;
- Help to create a culture of order, structure, humanity, and academic rigor in the classroom and school as a whole; and
- Collaborate with other teachers, other school staff, and administrators to ensure that all our students climb the mountain to high school and college.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred.
- Special Education teaching certification required
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.