Director of Operations
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: July Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Oversees the ongoing operations at the school in conjunction with an Uncommon network’s Chief Operating Officer. Ensures implementation and maintenance of clear systems that allow principals and teachers to focus on students. Works closely with Uncommon’s Home Office Directors and with outside consultants and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the ongoing operations at the school with the Managing Director of Operations and Associate Chief Operating Officer of Uncommon Schools (Uncommon).
- Creates a detailed start-up checklist and ordering list to ensure that the school starts each year prepared and fully stocked.
- Manages and oversees the school’s physical condition.
- Works with Uncommon’s Information Technology Team to ensure that the school has a fully functioning technology infrastructure.
- Manages student information database system and generates reports as needed.
- Manages food and transportation services.
- Ensures school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, charter contracts, state
- education mandates (including staff fingerprinting), teacher certification, and all federal and state workplace regulations.
- Ensures that school-based employees receive payroll and benefits in timely and accurate manner from Uncommon.
- Works with Uncommon – particularly the Uncommon Director of Finance – to create and oversee the school’s budget, finances, and relationships with outside vendors.
- Works with appropriate staff to construct advisory and class rosters.
- Creates and manages teacher, student, and classroom schedules.
- Manages relationships with all outside organizations and leads the school’s efforts to partner with community leaders and organizations
- Manages visitor program.
- Maintains thorough list of pre-kindergarten programs, head start programs, youth service programs, churches, and other community organizations with which to correspond regarding student recruitment.
- Tracks student admission applications and maintains waitlist.
- Manages the Office Manager and staffs the Main Office when Office Manager is unavailable or not present, and ensures the smooth operation of the main office, including mailings, attendance reporting, office machine maintenance, etc.
Coordinates with Uncommon to ensure smooth operations, identify needs, and facilitate flow of information.
Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters, and lives of students both in and out of school;
- Strong critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrates grit and personal responsibility;
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically and innovatively, in order to continuously improve school operations;
- High quality communications skills with multiple audiences including teachers, students, families, vendors, and colleagues;
- Able to have difficult conversations in a respectful manner;
- Proactive problem-solver who is able to work successfully in a high-paced environment;
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings;
- Work as needed; this is a full-time, salaried position;
- Work on a year-round administrative schedule with school holidays and two weeks of summer vacation.
- Minimum educational level
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Experience required
- 1-3 years of consulting experience preferred;
- Project planning experience required, with demonstrated ability to see large projects through to completion;
- Experience managing others preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Access;
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures;
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to juggle competing priorities;
- Displays maturity and ability to work independently;
- Welcoming and positive presence, sense of humor;
- Communicates well with others and demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues and community members;
- Has the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines;
- Relentless commitment to mission of educating urban students, enjoys working with children.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.