Senior Project Technician
- 12673 Coleraine Dr, Bolton, ON L7E 3B5, Canada
Doka’s expertise in formwork technology is unparalleled in the industry and we are proud of the difference we make globally! “It’s not just formwork – it’s DOKA” is impressively demonstrated worldwide in buildings like the Burj Khalifa (Dubai), in hydroelectric generating stations like the Keeyask (Nelson River in northern Manitoba) – and in parts of the Brenner Base Tunnel (European Alps). Collaborative teamwork of nearly 7000 employees in over 160 distribution/logistics facilities in more than 70 countries is one of the primary reasons behind our success. With more than 150 years of history as a family owned company, we recognize and appreciate our employee’s work every day by rewarding them with flexible work hours, competitive wages, bonuses, training/development opportunities and a comprehensive group benefits program including RRSPs.
Summary of Position:
The Senior Project Technician is accountable for technical planning, forming projects, managing individual projects and may manage small engineering teams consisting of Technicians. If managing a team, he/she will provide strong leadership, technical direction and ensure team members continually train in Doka formwork systems and represent proper use of equipment to customers. He/she provides technical assistance to the sales department from the project design stage to project inception and completion. This position reports directly to the Engineering Group Leader and functionally to the Head of Engineering - Toronto.
* Note well - During the COVID pandemic, this position will have the ability to work from home on a rotational schedule with other engineers. The rotational schedule will be determined and updated, as required, and there is no guarantee to any employee that this arrangement will continue indefinitely. In fact, the goal is to eventually have all employees working from the office again, as quickly as possible, Monday to Friday.
- Determines and plans technical solutions for projects utilizing Doka formwork systems;
- Partners with customers, contractors, sales and operations departments while managing jobs from preliminary project planning stages to project completion;
- Supports Account Managers by determining appropriate formwork solutions that meet the customer’s needs (economically, and in compliance with safety and regulatory guidelines);
- Works with sales to produce AutoCAD drawings during the proposal stage and finalizes working drawings for Doka forming systems and provides material lists for quotations and shipments to the site;
- Provides guidance to customers regarding forming solutions, service job sites and respond to questions concerning equipment usage, etc.;
- Motivates team and effectively delegates work to meet team and company objectives;
- Produces and ensures that the drawings indicate the proper use of Doka forming equipment and that the drawings represent safe, economical and efficient designs.
- Adheres to policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and compliance
- Monitors conformance with contractual guidelines.
Other Responsibilities/Peripheral Functions:
- Visits job sites as required, identifies any improper implementation and takes action to ensure technical solutions are immediately applied;
- Service the job site for the correct use of formwork systems in the absence of a service advisor;
- Ensures safe working practices and a safe working environment.
- Other duties/projects as assigned, such as participating in company committees/teams.
- Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in engineering (civil, construction, or structural) required;
- 5-7 years of related experience in concrete forming and design required. Experience with Doka’s proprietary formwork system preferred;
- Experience with static calculations;
- Extensive technical knowledge with experience in project management;
- Experienced in AutoCAD, project management software and computer applications including MS Word and Excel. Revit experience is considered a plus;
- Excellent communication skills including an excellent command of English (speaking, reading, writing);
- Qualitative abilities including strong analytical skills, technical proficiency and effective problem solving skills;
- Able to schedule projects to meet deadlines;
- Infrastructure experience required;
- Willing and able to learn new products, concepts and techniques;
- Organized team player with strong leadership skills and excellent time management skills. Able to work in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment;
- General understanding of Canadian regulations, local and national codes, legislation and trends impacting the formwork industry a plus;
- Jobsite experience a plus;
This position requires the ability to support the sales function within the office and at times in the customer environment, solving design and field issues on short notice with minimal information.
Extensive daily interaction with internal colleagues, management and customers.
Position requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to be organized and to manage time to meet deadlines.
Working conditions vary from that of an office environment: dry, cool, well lit, to outside conditions (equipment yard or job site): high noise level in certain areas, extreme outdoor temperatures.
Doka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A company of the Umdasch Group.