Field Service Technician
- 225 North Rd, Coquitlam, BC V3K, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Doka’s expertise in formwork technology is unparalleled in the industry and we are proud of the difference we make globally! “It’s not just formwork – it’s DOKA” is impressively demonstrated worldwide in buildings like the Burj Khalifa (Dubai), in hydroelectric generating stations like the Keeyask (Nelson River in northern Manitoba) – and in parts of the Brenner Base Tunnel (European Alps). Collaborative teamwork of nearly 7000 employees in over 160 distribution/logistics facilities in more than 70 countries is one of the primary reasons behind our success. With more than 150 years of history as a family owned company, we recognize and appreciate our employee’s work every day by rewarding them with flexible work hours, competitive wages, bonuses, training/development opportunities and a comprehensive group benefits program including RRSPs.
Summary of Position
The Field Service Technician reports directly to the Sales Manager, Canada or Engineering Manager (as applicable for the region, this person will be designated by the Branch Manager as the responsible Manager in charge). He/she assists the Account Managers in providing formwork and shoring assembly and set-up expertise and assistance to the construction team while onsite from the preliminary stage of the construction project to the point where the customer no longer requires assistance with Doka products. The Field Service Technician is responsible to instruct site personnel, when requested by the customer, on the safe and correct assembly and use of Doka products used on the project during the period on site.
Directly oversees and instructs site personnel on the use of formwork and shoring in conjunction with the Account Manager. His/her time on site can last anywhere from one day to several weeks and at times longer. The Local Engineering Manager handles all technical issues.
Oversee the installation of Doka products confirming they are properly installed and used.
Completes daily reports and forwards to the people identified in the “Guidelines for Doka Formwork Instructors”. Reports must contain a description of the work accomplished each day in person-hours used per task as well as details regarding product shortages, design errors and any quality control issues identified by the Formwork Instructor.
Examine equipment on site and makes sure it complies with Doka’s “ready for field use” specifications.
Assist the Account Manager and contractor in interpreting and reading the engineering layout or assembly drawings prepared by Doka engineering.
Identify potential problems and make certain that all parties including the Contractor, Superintendent, Project Manager, Safety Manager, Doka Engineering and Sales teams are notified on a timely basis as outlined in the “Guidelines for Doka Formwork Instructors”.
Accurately and consistently tracks and monitors all activities involving Doka products on the construction site including assembly activities, cycle times, identifying problems and their cause, then develops action plans for immediate and appropriate resolution.
Ensures that all individuals on the construction site are trained in the assembly, set up and disassembling of Doka products.
Provides accurate answers to all inquiries and questions regarding Doka products within the boundaries of Doka’s published User Information booklets.
While on site, complies with all local, provincial, federal, and Doka safety regulations and policies. Consults and works with site construction teams ensuring all safe work practices using Doka products are followed to maintain a safe working environment and provides notification to the customer about noncompliance.
Other Responsibilities/Peripheral Functions
- Assignments are located both within the home region and in other regions of the country depending on available resources. Therefore, a considerable amount of domestic travel and time away from home as well as occasional international travel will be required. Assignments and management of daily activities will be coordinated by the manager in charge.
- Other duties as assigned may include and not limited to: participating in company committees, supporting operations in assembly of equipment, inspecting inventory, etc.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including additional time as required to meet the customer’s needs. Work schedules vary to the meet customer’s site schedule and could include shift work.
- Assists in guaranteeing safe work practices that involve Doka products, a safe working environment and reports any unsafe practices to the onsite management verbally and in writing when necessary.
- Complies with all corporate policies and business practices. Functionally reports to the Head of Engineering for North America.
- High School Graduate with some Post-Secondary education preferred
- Vocational/trade school diploma/certificate a plus (carpentry)
- 2-5 years’ construction site supervisory experience preferred;
- Experience with concrete formwork required, use of Doka products strongly preferred;
- Must possess strong interpersonal “people” skills to work effectively with a wide range of diverse personalities;
- Strong technical knowledge including the ability to read blueprints and designs;
- Facilitates projects and effectively manages multiple tasks;
- Excellent communication skills including an excellent command of English (speaking, reading, writing);
- Possesses strong leadership skills, effectively demonstrates patience and delivers and commands respect particularly in difficult and challenging situations;
- Qualitative abilities including strong analytical skills, technical proficiency and effective problem solving skills;
- Must possess a high degree of stamina and energy as this position is physically demanding (long hours, extensive travel);
- Proficient using Microsoft Office applications;
- Possess clean driving record (no current driving or vehicle related violations);
- Willing and able to learn new products, concepts and techniques;
- Organized team leader able to work independently, in a high pressured, deadline-driven, fast-paced environment.
This position requires the ability to support those involved on each project construction site and serve as a liaison between the Support offices, Branch office and the onsite construction management team (contractor, superintendent, safety manager, project manager) providing formwork assembly support and expertise on short notice with minimal information.
Communicates effectively with all levels of individuals and has extensive interaction with the Responsible Manager In-charge, onsite construction team, internal Doka engineering and sales teams, internal and external Doka management teams and customers.
This position requires the ability to think strategically and analytically. Able to envision the broader picture and understand the impact of his/her accountability as they relate to the entire company. Position requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to be organized and to manage time to meet deadlines.
Working conditions are generally that of outside conditions (extreme outdoor temperatures/inclement weather conditions), high noise level in certain areas, to more occasional office environment location: dry, cool, and well lit.
Important Note: Travel is required for this position (approximately 25% of time) with a requirement to possibly be away from home 30-50% of the time (dependent on project).
To qualify, applicants must currently reside in Canada and must be authorized to work for any employer in Canada (Canadian work permit holder or permanent resident).
Doka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A company of the Umdasch Group.