Yard Supervisor (Commercial Construction)
- Gates Rd, Little Ferry, NJ 07643, USA
Its more than a job. Its a passion.
Doka is one of the world’s leading companies for developing, manufacturing and distributing formwork solutions for use in all fields of the construction sector. The Doka Group is a company of the Umdasch Group and employs more than 6,000 people in over 70 countries.
The Yard Manager reports to the Operations Manager and assists the Branch Manager. He/she is responsible for the overall management of the yard ensuring an extremely efficient, safe organized yard operation.
- Maintains an organized and logical yard operation. Supervises the logistics of all material (location, flow of goods) to ensure proper storage avoiding congestion. Supervises yard and warehouse ensuring compliance with company cleanliness and housekeeping standards.
- Plan daily/weekly manpower needs based upon business demands and closely monitors overtime hours and dollars.
- Assigns tasks ensuring efficient allocation of labor maximizing productivity. Ensures yard staff is continually trained in product knowledge and organizing the yard operation to function in an organized, productive way. Assigns tasks ensuring efficient allocation of labor maximizing productivity and ensures team achieves or exceeds benchmark production and the Reconditioning Service: Time reference values
- Oversees facility equipment: ensures equipment is safe, operational and regularly serviced.
- Motivates trains and develops a productive cohesive team. Continually trains employees in the ergonomic and safe use and maintenance of tools and equipment. Empowers employees to take ownership in the use, maintenance and safety of all tools and equipment. Ensures that the proper tools are available at each workspace. Orders tools/replacement parts in a timely manner and in accordance with the Doka Signatory Policy.
- Supports PPE compliance and safe work practices. Ensure supervised team consistently uses approved safety equipment. Ensures the proper use and availability of safe, maintained tools and equipment and empowers team to take ownership of the same.
- Ensures employees are provided with and consistently use approved safety equipment. Timely requests tools, supplies, replacement parts, etc. and said items are accounted for and secured to avoid loss.
- Maintains the upkeep and maintenance of capital investments (i.e. building property, equipment, etc.). Ensures daily forklift inspection checks are complete and submitted to the Yard Manager every Monday.
- Conducts weekly safety meetings and consistently executes all safety policies. Directs supervisors and foremen ensuring safe working practices are strictly adhered to while maintaining a safe working environment.
- Conducts monthly safety/yard inspections, documents findings/observations and distributes to the appropriate management personnel.
- Oversees inventory quality and ensures accurate quality control per conditions and tolerances. Conducts monthly quality control inspections, documents findings/observations, addresses staff, and sends reports to the Yard Manager.
- Ensures that underlay timbers / dunnage are available in appropriate sizes.
- Ensure proper disposal of all damaged/scrap material in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Ensure all containers and shelves are accurately marked to ensure proper product information.
- Ensures employees are at work stations on time between breaks and shift times.
- Ensures team accurately processes all inventory movements, timely flow of paper orders and daily production reports. Immediately advises loading Foremen of orders pulled and ready to load. Ensures finished returns are submitted same day.
- If applicable, ensure a properly trained welder is available at the branch; provide appropriate training and/or opportunity to obtain proper certification.
- Safely performs pushing and pulling tasks of up to 100 pounds and lifting of 50 pounds without assistance. Lifting of items over 50 pounds must be done by at least two individuals or with the proper use of the appropriate lifting equipment provided (i.e. forklifts, cranes, hoists, etc.)
- Manages and maintains all aspects of customer accounts and the order process including order placement and order entry, follow up, price verification and product inquiries, using an in house order processing system.
- Communicate with sales personnel regarding order details including product availability, delivery dates, order cancellations, and order status updates. Interface on a daily basis with all levels of staff to ensure customer requirements are met.
- Manages the back order process and consistently insures that back orders have been satisfied with urgency.
- Identifies insufficient inventory and notifies logistics/operations personnel to insure the procurement and equipment transfer process begins immediately.
Other Responsibilities/Peripheral Functions
- Occasional travel and hours as required. Flexible to work as needed.
- Other duties/projects as assigned; including participating in company committees/teams.
- Complies with all corporate policies and business practices.
- Continually enhances technical skills with additional PC Training and DISCOS II training.
- High school graduate proficient in Microsoft Office. Associates Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Five (5) years recent supervisory experience in yard, inventory or warehouse management.
- Facilitates projects and effectively manages multiple tasks with prioritization and urgency.
- Excellent communication skills including an excellent command of English (speaking, reading, writing). Bilingual Spanish a plus.
- Possesses strong leadership skills, effectively manages a diverse team and achieves results.
This position requires the ability to support the operations functions and serve as a liaison between the yard, colleagues, and customers, providing yard management related support on short notice with minimal information.
Extensive daily interaction with yard staff, truck drivers, colleagues, management and customers. Communicates effectively with all levels of management both internally and externally.
This position requires the ability to think strategically and analytically. Able to envision the broader picture and understand the impact of his/her accountabilities as they relate to the entire company. Position requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and the ability to be organized and manage time to meet deadlines.
Working conditions vary from that of outside conditions (extreme outdoor temperatures/inclement weather conditions), dust, high noise level in certain areas, to an office environment: dry, cool, well lighted.
Doka offers terrific career opportunities, competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Account, company paid life insurance, supplemental voluntary term life insurance, 401k retirement plan (Roth and Non-Roth), AFLAC policies, paid time off (sick/personal, vacation, floating holiday and company paid holidays) and an exciting opportunity to join Doka as a Yard Supervisor located in Kearny, New Jersey.
Does working with some of the most impressive construction projects interest you? If joining an industry leader excites you, please submit your resume and apply now.
Visit us on-line at www.dokausa.com for additional information on Doka USA, Ltd.
Candidates must be authorized to work for any employer in the US.
Doka is an Equal Opportunity Employer
A company of the Umdasch Group
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.