Head of Engineering | Doka Qatar
- 2nd Gate, Light Industrial Area, Mesaieed, qa
Doka Group, a subsidiary of the Umdasch Group is one of the world’s largest manufacturers and suppliers of formwork products and systems with more than 160 sales and logistics facilities in over 70 countries. From its headquarters in Austria, Doka’s heritage of innovation has positioned itself as a front runner in creating disruptive technologies for the construction market, with an emphasis firmly placed on supporting the needs of its clients.
Thanks to its immense reserves of oil and natural gas, Qatar’s national development and economic diversification has led to a boom in the construction industry, which to date shows no signs of slowing down. In lieu of successfully securing the FIFA 2022 World Cup, Qatar is reported to be investing an extra $160bn on preparations for the sporting event that includes eight state-of-the-art stadiums and 60,000 hotel rooms.
Doka Qatar is currently looking to recruit a career driven professional to join its versatile team and support the company’s ongoing national expansion. The suitable candidate will be a qualified, natural team player who can add significant value to this highly dynamic team.
As a customer-focused organisation, Doka understands that its greatest assets are its employees which is why it is consistently looking for talented professionals who are keen to develop their career in this challenging and fast-paced industry.
As the Head of Engineering in Qatar, you are an important member of the country management team and you will be fully accountable for all topics related to Engineering and Product Management. You develop and manage your team ensuring that they are given the resources and opportunities they need to succeed. You enable them to provide the most suitable formwork designs for the challenging projects of our clients and to collaborate successfully within their team, with other departments and external parties.
You will report directly to the Managing Director with a functional reporting line to the Head of Engineering & Product Management Middle East & Africa. This position will become vacant as part of our succession planning and is based in Mesaieed, Qatar.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the engineering department including scheduling of staff, induction of new staff as well as training and development of the team
- Ensure the engineering team find the most economical technical solution
- Represent the Engineering department both externally and internally
- Set and optimise internal standards and ensure their compliance with local and Doka Group standards
- Budgetary and Cost control for the Engineering department
- Lead, manage and drive overall product development and strategy together with group leaders in cooperation with local and Doka Group Product Management and Sales
- Accompany technical and commercial supervision of projects focusing on cross-functional collaboration (Sales, Operations, Support) to advance business performance
- Support, promote and implement the agreed targets in accordance with the strategy
- Advise Formwork Instructors, Design Engineers and Sales Engineers in regards to technical problems and issues that arise on site
- Manage the Ready-to-Use-Service Team and On-Site-Assembly Service
- Ideally conduct advanced statics calculations
- Technical/Civil Engineering Qualification
- Economic understanding
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in engineering and/or in concrete forming and shoring, ideally with Doka
- Comprehensive construction-specific practical experience (building construction, site or project management, scaffolding)
- Solid knowledge of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office applications, ideally CapPlan and DokaCalc
- High level of English
- Experience in GCC and/or the Qatar construction industry is an advantage
- Outstanding leadership, team management and problem-solving skills
- Intercultural awareness to succeed in a multinational environment
- Self-reflective person with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills with stakeholders on all levels
- Ability to set priorities in line with business requirements, manage time effectively and motivate others
- High level of commitment and willingness to go the extra mile