Engineering Manager - Calgary
- 5404 36 St SE, Calgary, AB T2C 1P1, Canada
Doka’s expertise in formwork technology is unparalleled in the industry and we are proud of the difference we make globally! “It’s not just formwork – it’s DOKA” is impressively demonstrated worldwide in buildings like the Burj Khalifa (Dubai), in hydroelectric generating stations like the Keeyask (Nelson River in northern Manitoba) – and in parts of the Brenner Base Tunnel (European Alps). Collaborative teamwork of nearly 7000 employees in over 160 distribution/logistics facilities in more than 70 countries is one of the primary reasons behind our success. With more than 150 years of history as a family owned company, we recognize and appreciate our employee’s work every day by rewarding them with flexible work hours, competitive wages, bonuses, training/development opportunities and a comprehensive group benefits program including RRSPs.
Summary of Position:
The Engineering Manager manages the Engineering Department within the designated branch. He/she is accountable for meeting deadlines for engineering support needed by the Doka Canada customers and for designs/drawings produced which demonstrate the proper use of Doka Canada concrete forming equipment. He/she provides strong leadership, guidance and supervision to all engineers/technicians in the branch and produces/reviews engineering analysis and calculations by applying the fundamentals of engineering and principles of design. This individual reports to the Branch Manager directly on a day-to-day basis and to the Head of Engineering Canada functionally for all technical issues. When required, this individual may need to provide additional reports or information to the Managing Director(s) of Canada.
- Works with sales to produce and supervise the production of proposals and working drawings for Doka Canada formwork systems;
- Stamps calculations and drawings as a P.Eng as/if required or delegates appropriately to another P.Eng;
- Develops work schedules, evaluates employee performance throughout the year and formally during the annual performance review process;
- Conducts and/or participates in staff training programs insuring continuous training is provided in calculations, formwork, product knowledge, computer systems/software applications, etc;
- Supports the Sales Manager and the Branch Manager by determining appropriate formwork solutions that meet the customer’s needs (economically, and in compliance with safety and regulatory guidelines);
- Insures that work is designed with available inventory and in conformance with contractual obligations;
- Manages schedules and reviews/certifies engineering work products performed by all staff members under his/her supervision;
- Manages staff and reviews that work and insures that the drawings indicate the proper use of Doka Canada forming equipment and that the drawings represent safe, economical and efficient designs;
- Insures that special projects are given the appropriate attention if/when asked – including the management and development of the team assigned to these projects (ie. self-climbing, crane climbing and protection screens, infrastructure projects, etc.);
- Ensures that the policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and compliance are adhered to;
- Responsible to hire, train and supervise all of the engineers/technicians in the department;
- Motivates team and effectively delegates work insuring branch objectives are met;
- Collaborates with the Branch Manager insuring company and branch initiatives are strategically aligned.
Other Responsibilities/Peripheral Functions:
- Frequently travels to job sites to observe Doka formwork systems;
- Ensures safe working practices and a safe working environment;
- Other duties/projects as assigned, such as participating in company committees/teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering (structural, civil, or mechanical) required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in engineering required; experience in concrete forming preferred; those with Doka experience will be given first preference;
- Professional Engineering license preferred; ability to obtain a P.Eng license an asset;
- Able to set priorities, change priorities to meet the business needs and schedule projects while managing staff, overseeing multiple projects concurrently and supporting the branch;
- Proficient computer skills using Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Adobe Acrobat and AutoCad required;
- Excellent communication skills including an excellent command of English (speaking, reading, writing); Fluency in French an asset (only “required” if designated branch is Montreal, QC);
- Qualitative abilities including strong analytical skills, technical proficiency and effective problem solving skills;
- Willing and able to learn new products, concepts and techniques;
- Organized team player with strong leadership skills and excellent time management skills; Works and motivates staff to work productively in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Canadian building codes/regulations (provincial, local and/or federal codes), legislation and trends impacting the formwork industry;
- Understands how the projects and activities of Doka Canada and the branch office impacts the corporation worldwide.
This position requires the ability to support the branch office, corporate office, and at times in the customer environment, solving design and field problems on short notice with minimal information;
Extensive daily interaction with internal branch and corporate colleagues, management and customers.
Position requires the ability to work in an organized manner, in a fast-paced environment and manage time to meet deadlines; Individual must be able to think strategically and analytically.
Working conditions vary from that of an office environment: dry, cool, and well lit - to outside conditions (equipment yard or job site), high noise level in certain areas with extreme outdoor temperatures.
If you have a passion to support business accuracy and development, we look forward to receiving your application for this new role!
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is located - but no later than March 13, 2020 - and interviews may begin prior to this date. If interested, please submit your resume as quickly as possible.
To qualify, applicants must currently reside in Canada and must be authorized to work for any employer in Canada (Canadian work permit holder or permanent resident). Local candidates with the desired experience is required as there is no relocation allowance designated.
Doka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A company of the Ubdasch Group.