Technical Director Level Design
- Flexible Working Organization: Hybrid
As a Technical Design Director at Ubi MTL, you’re the link between a design vision and its technical implementation.
With a high-level understanding of our tech, plus visibility on the project as a whole, you provide expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Though every day of development brings its own mix of anticipated and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals to efficiently handle whatever comes your way, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
Thanks to your knowledge, adaptability, and willingness to help, not only can team members on your project look to you for information and direction, but so can others. You’re a go-to person for guidance and a valuable resource for Ubisoft employees worldwide.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility of your area of ownership (e.g. AI, mission, world, cinematics, etc.).
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.).
- Assess existing tools + occasionally design custom ones to support design pipelines and workflows.
- Train team members on tools and techniques + raise awareness of new processes.
- Assist content creators with their technical needs & bridge communication between design and programming.
- Review and give your input on integrated work & find solutions to fix bugs.
- Maintain technical documentation (e.g. procedures, how-to guides, etc.).
- Prepare post-mortems + recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate data.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios.
- Participate in recruitment to build the technical design team & foster their growth.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 7 years of experience in the video game industry or other related experience + 3 years of leadership experience
- In-depth knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) & their limitations and the Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio)
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira), version management systems (e.g. Perforce), and basic programming
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, time management, and organizational capabilities
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.