Senior Material/Texture Artist [Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora]
- Malmö, Sweden
- Flexible Working Organization: Hybrid
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora™ is a first-person, action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment – a Ubisoft studio in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney. Built using the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine, and developed exclusively for the new generation of consoles and PC, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings to life the alluring world of Pandora with all of its beauty and danger in an immersive, open-world experience.
As a Senior Material/Texture Artist, you are responsible for creating material/textures kit for objects and game environments autonomously, taking all the technical constraints into account.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden, with the opportunity to work partially from home according to our Flexible Workplace Policy. Please apply in English (our company language), and we’ll check your application asap!
What you'll do
- Creating high-quality textures/materials using tools like Substance, Zbrush, Photoshop
- Collaborating with Technical Artists to develop advanced shaders, optimize assets, create efficient tile-able textures, smart materials in Substance, as well as communicate the challenges as you go
- Collaborating closely with cross-functional team including Level art, Character Art and Prop Art teams as well as collaborating with other designers to maintain the visual quality and processes across the development;
- Play a proactive role with the team of Modelers and Lighting Artists to adapt textures to their needs and constraints
- Working closely with Art director and Lead in order to define, setup and achieve a consistent look for the visuals as per the Art direction
- Overseeing and developing our material library;
- Assisting in the design, implementation, and maintenance of material art pipelines;
- Researching new texture tools and techniques to create more efficient and visually appealing environments
- Mentoring and guiding fellow material artists to grow together as a team
What you'll bring
You're passionate about material/texture and have extensive experience with game art/development pipelines.You are team-oriented and you enjoy giving and receiving constructive feedback to reach the team's shared goal. Your ability to see the bigger picture makes you a trusted team member and efficient communicator, it also helps you to drive your ideas forward from concept to implementation.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- An extensive portfolio of Materials at AAA/realistic quality;
- Proven work experience through several AAA game development cycles, with credits on at least 1 major title as a Senior Texture / Material Artist, or a directly related role;
- Expert skills in Substance suite, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Strong modeling skills required to support any material based work in 3DS Max, Blender, Maya, and/or the equivalent tools;
- Familiarity with node-based game engines like Unity, Unreal, and/or Snowdrop (our inhouse engine);
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and material/light interactions;
Massive Entertainment is a world-leading AAA studio located in Malmö Sweden and is part of the Ubisoft family. We’re a multinational team of more than 750 passionate and highly skilled people from 50+ different countries. Our studio’s goal has always been – and still is – to craft the finest gaming experiences for all players.
At Massive, you get to do what you love most while bringing your own experience to our ongoing projects, like Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and The Star Wars Project. We're also developing new tech here, such as our in-house engine Snowdrop, and Ubisoft Connect - Ubisoft's digital ecosystem and distribution platform.
You can also find a summary of the Massive Job Perks here.
All your application information will be kept confidential according to EEO & GDPR guidelines.