Texture Artist - Helix
- Montreal, QC, Canada
As a Texture Artist at Ubi MTL, you'll make an immersive world come alive by creating and applying textures that give depth and dimension to everything within it. With a mix of observation, skill, and imagination, you add the details that define characters, objects, and environments. You take inspiration from reality to build believable materials and adapt to new tools to push them to their full potential. You freely choose the methods that work best for you to create a finished look that fits the feel of the game and makes it memorable.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art team to grasp the game’s artistic vision and set texture priorities.
- Study concept art and research your own references to develop the visual design language.
- Work closely with level artists to understand environment needs.
- Create textures from scratch, references, or scans & build and organize your texture library.
- Partner with modellers to suggest textures and help with 3D mapping.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Polish textures and apply them to 3D models.
- Document and share your knowledge and best practices.
- Modify your work based on feedback received from interdependent teams (debug and optimize).
- Experience in texturing, modelling, lighting, or other related experience
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with the 3D software Maya + game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal)
- Experience in creating and managing shaders in VRAY
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (lighting, composition, proportion, colour theory, etc.), physically based rendering, and game constraints
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent observation, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- Aesthetic sensitivity and a keen eye for even the subtlest of details
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.