- Quebec City, QC, Canada
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
As a Music Design Specialist at Ubisoft Quebec, you will collaborate with the Audio Director and Music Supervisor to support projects in interactive music design. Defining the moments in the game where the music could play to reinforce the actions and choices of the player during their adventure.
You are responsible for sharing the essential information of the project with the Music Supervisor and realizing the musical vision in game.
You will work with other members of the audio team to explore how the music, sound and voice will work together.
You will interact with the production director and game designers to define and design the system and integration points and work closely with the audio team and their programmers.
You are responsible for the design and integration of the music system into the audio middleware and game editor. You are responsible, in collaboration with the Music Supervisor, for receiving and editing the music deliveries. Editing these stems will be a shared task between the Music Designer and the Music Supervisor.
Finally, through debugging, you will make sure that the game music works properly and fix bugs if there are any.
- Collaborate with the Audio Director and Music Supervisor to build the music design by brainstorming, prototyping, and conducting research.
- Establish the priorities and objectives of music design while considering the limits of time, budget, resources, organization, etc.
- Design and integrate the in-game music system in collaboration with other team members.
- Edit music.
- Write or assist in the creation of documents about music (design, order, etc.)
- Suggest models to test the design ideas.
- Work as part of the audio team to make sure you understand the overall audio direction and how the music fits into this.
- Take part in game creation by working with cross disciplinary teams to enhance the gameplay experience and player immersion from a music perspective.
- Perform any other related tasks.
Training and Experience
- College or university education in music, video game design, sound design, programming, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 3 years experience in video game
- Must have delivered over 2 games, including at least one on a next-gen console
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of game middleware, DAW’s and engines, e.g., Wwise
- Ability to explain musical ideas to non-musical colleagues.
- Musical knowledge and the ability to edit music.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of the video game industry.
What to send our way
- Cover letter
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey !