Animation Technical Director
- Montreal, Canada
With a high-level understanding of the capabilities of our technology combined with your visibility on the project as a whole, as a Technical Animation Director at Ubi MTL, you provide expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Unafraid to innovate, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice. Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility;
- Review game design concepts + identify and analyze risks (engine, memory, frame rate, etc.);
- Work closely with programmers to assess existing animation and rigging tools + occasionally design custom ones to improve pipelines;
- Support animators, game designers, and riggers with their technical needs + informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks, blockers, etc.
- Train team members on tools and techniques + raise awareness of new processes;
- Resolve complex, escalated issues & make technical validations;
- Prepare post-mortems + recommend cost- and time-efficient solutions to evolve our animation content & tech;
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry;
- Participate in recruitment to build the animation team & foster their professional development.
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in 3D Animation, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- At least 7 years of animation, rigging, or programming experience (or related experience) + 3 years of leadership
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, time management, organizational, and presentation skills
- A highly innovative, collaborative, attentive, and solution-oriented spirit
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce)
- A passion for sharing your knowledge and helping others learn and grow
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.