Technical Artist - UI
- Montreal, QC, Canada
As a Technical Artist at Ubi MTL, you’ll help build a game user interface that’s visually impactful while maintaining its cutting-edge performance.
To achieve this, you bridge the worlds of the artist and the programmer, acting as an interpreter and problem-solver. Because of you, the two collaborate cohesively and efficiently, on budget and deadline, using the most appropriate tools and pipelines.
While keeping device and user limitations in mind, you ensure all interface assets can be rendered without compromising the artistic vision, on the one hand, or busting your memory budget on the other, setting benchmarks for your UI along the way.
You’re the development team’s hybrid specialist, speaking both from the heart and the mind, with your eye on AAA quality.
What you’ll do
- Establish efficient and clear pipelines + create UI libraries;
- Work closely with UI artists to reflect their intentions by prototyping features;
- Benchmark interface assets through research and testing;
- Integrate, debug, and optimize UI assets in Unity;
- Communicate and collaborate with interdependent teams to find the perfect balance between aesthetic quality and technical functionality;
- Monitor UI best practices, tools, and trends to evolve our methods and bring about player-centric improvements;
- Investigate, develop, and implement new techniques to drive the team’s UI to the forefront of the video game industry and set new standards.
What you bring
- Art experience in the video game industry (or other relevant experience)
- Proficiency in C#
- Knowledge of shader writing and motion graphics
- Experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop and After Effects)
- A solid understanding of graphics/UI libraries (like NGUI and React Native) & Unity and its limitations
- A desire to share your knowledge and expertise to push the boundaries of technology & help others improve their skills
- The ability to adapt and wear many hats, including artist, programmer, teacher, communicator, leader, supporter, memory-budget manager, creator, and innovator – among others.
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your experience, education, and skills
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.