Concept Artist (Characters)
- Montreal, QC, Canada
As a Concept Artist at Ubi MTL, you will lay the groundwork for the artistic team to create the memorable characters and environments players will engage with and enjoy. You will provide the artwork that will serve as references, and guide the visual styling throughout production as all artists work towards a common goal.
You are a visionary, a thinker, a developer and an interpreter of ideas, able to be inspired while also inspiring others. You understand a vision and let your creativity guide you as you freely explore styles and designs in your medium of choice. You’re eager to receive your colleagues’ feedback and enjoy the challenge that comes with the continuous, iterative process of working and reworking your art until you communicate the correct visual design language.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the art director to develop the overall vision of a game (set the tone and ambiance; pitch locations, key moments, emotional contrasts, etc.).
- Produce sketches and quick iterations (digital or paper).
- Create concepts of characters or environments from existing references or from scratch.
- Propose concepts to the artistic team and discuss possibilities.
- Adapt your artwork based on feedback.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Refine your concept art to illustration by adding layers of detail.
What you bring
- Experience in concept art in the video game industry or other relevant experience
- Knowledge of digital painting and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max)
- Understanding of art fundamentals: lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, etc.
- Open-mindedness and flexibility
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (you can share your ideas and explain your creative process)
- A collaborative spirit
- A whole lot of creativity and curiosity
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of finished and preliminary work – seriously, show us your sketches! Attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.