Technical Animation Director (Helix)
- Montreal, QC, Canada
As a Technical Animation Director at Ubi MTL, you’ll join Helix: a new team specialized in producing real-time cinematics for the games developed by our Canadian studios, games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow Six, For Honor, and many more.
In this role, you'll oversee the creation and implementation of a technical animation pipeline, cinematics workflow, and the technical requirements to deliver and meet the needs of your assigned projects. In partnership with other department managers, you'll be responsible for the direction, design, and technical vision of the animation pipelines and tools for producing real-time cinematics.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall technical animation vision for our Canadian studios’ cinematics + determine technical feasibility.
- Review design concepts + identify and assess risks (engine, memory, frame rate, etc.).
- Work closely with programmers to evaluate existing animation and rigging tools + occasionally design custom ones to improve pipelines.
- Support animators, designers, and riggers with their technical needs + informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks, blockers, etc.
- Train team members on tools and techniques + raise awareness of new processes.
- Resolve complex, escalated issues & make technical validations.
- Prepare post-mortems + recommend cost- and time-efficient solutions to evolve our animation content & tech.
- Anticipate technological advancements and monitor market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry.
What you bring
- Around 7 years of animation, rigging, or programming experience (or related experience) + 3 years of leadership
- A degree in 3D Animation, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering (or related training)
- Solid communication, interpersonal, mentorship, time management, organizational, and presentation skills
- An innovative, collaborative, attentive, and solution-oriented spirit
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce)
- A passion for sharing your knowledge and helping others learn and grow
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.