- Toronto, ON, Canada
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For Honor™ and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, a new technology that seamlessly blends physical and digital gameplay. In 2020, Ubisoft Toronto led the development of the newest game in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion. This is the studio's most ambitious and initiative project to date. Ubisoft Toronto received praise for the tech and design work, for creating the first game in which you can play as anyone in an open world, and for its rich and detailed rendition of future London. Now, in 2021, Ubisoft Toronto on the verge of shipping Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the talented Giancarlo Esposito. We’re also kicking off new projects and we can’t wait to share more details once we’re ready.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where teams embrace innovative ideas and share knowledge with a genuine collaborative spirit.
On being a Game Director at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Game Director at Ubisoft Toronto, you transform a creative vision into a variety of systems and mechanics that combine to create an engaging experience for players to enjoy. You provide your team with the direction to design their specific gameplay features and allow them the flexibility to experiment and iterate.
While your designers focus on their areas of ownership, you pay attention to the larger picture, overseeing how the overall player experience and game systems are coming together: Core game loop, gameplay depth, user experience, progression, pace, balance, and – of course – quality. You ensure that all elements related to design work together cohesively to fit the intended experience and make it fun.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Game Director at Ubisoft Toronto
- Work with the creative director and the dev team to define the game by creating a vision that is innovative, strong, appropriate, fitting with IP, and implementable by the team;
- Develop your game design direction to make a truly fun and engaging experience. Evangelize this direction across the production team;
- Support your game designers in developing their features (e.g. gameplay rules, progression systems, combat systems, weapon attributes, artificial intelligence behaviours, 3Cs, etc.) + provide mentorship and constructive feedback to achieve quality;
- Inspire and collaborate with interdependent teams to align all design, technical, graphic, and narrative elements.
- Review and discuss budgets & timelines with the producer + keep the editorial team up to date on progress and milestones;
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, feedback, and playtest results; readjusting your design direction when need be;
- Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components; interpreting data to inform decision-making;
- Occasionally travel locally and abroad to present the game, meet with external partners, visit co-dev studios, etc;
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to evolve our production processes and define our best practices + share them with our studios;
- Understand and employ user experience design by upholding benchmarks for discoverability, player understanding, cognitive load, and by supporting UX testing.
What it takes to make it
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset);
- At least 7 years of game design experience or related experience + 3 years of leadership;
- In-depth knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) & their limitations, Photoshop, and the Office Suite (especially Excel and PowerPoint).
Nice to have
- A highly innovative, empathetic, creative, and collaborative spirit;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation, problem-solving, organizational, and mentorship skills;
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility;
- Ability to sift through data and come to meaningful conclusions;
- Familiarity with online gaming communities and live streaming platforms (e.g. Twitch);
- A solid understanding of the market & a (fiery) passion for video games.
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation Assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews and salary increases to help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
We host regular team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and offer various health and wellness initiatives including yoga, on-site occupational therapy, flexible work hours, and continuing programs to promote a balanced life. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.