Narrative Designer [Anno] (f/m/d)
- Mainz, Germany
About Ubisoft Mainz
The teams at Ubisoft Mainz are engineering some of Ubisoft’s biggest blockbusters. Operating from a historic city in the heart of Germany, the studio develops games pushing the limits of the genre like the acclaimed Anno 1800 and lends decades of expertise to AAA co-development projects like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege and the upcoming Beyond Good And Evil 2. More information at mainz.ubisoft.com.
Anno is a critically acclaimed and award-winning franchise, offering a rich city-building experience and providing players ample opportunity to create huge metropolises, plan efficient logistics networks, explore and settle new lands and dominate their opponents by diplomacy, trade or warfare.
As a Narrative Designer on our team, you will design consistent and believable narrative content to enrich the world and fantasy of the game in line with the Lead Narrative Designer’s vision.
From concept phase to finalized content, you take part in creating, iterating and fine-tuning believable narrative designs to AAA quality that create an emotional impact on the players and accompany them through the game.
What you will do:
- Implement the game’s narrative according to the principles established by the Lead Narrative Designer
- Use the game’s internal tools to design, integrate and debug all narrative events and features.
- Design quests and stories that embody the characters and help build the game world.
- Work closely with art, design and programming teams, among others.
- Create and iterate the projects’ world and story documentation
- Participate in the development of specific features, audio or visual assets
- Make necessary changes and iterate on narrative systems and designs
What you bring:
- University Degree, ideally in Humanities or similar high level of general education
- (preferred) 2+ years’ experience in game development, working with narrative aspects of the game, with at least 1 shipped title in a narrative design/writer position
- (preferred) Experience working on a strategy or RTS title
- Exceptionally good written and verbal English
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented and a strong team player
- A proven background in history or research
- Strengths in game design or system design
- Imagination, creativity and a talent for creating stories and characters
- Positive attitude and strong communication skills
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A cover letter including your earliest starting date, expected salary and why you would like to join us
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or leave us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio in your message)
- Relocation Support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance.
- 26 days paid vacation per year. Additionally, you will get half a day off on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and approximately 11 bank holidays in the Mainz region.
- Flexible Working Hours: We have core working times between 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM and the distribution of the other hours is up to you.
- Opportunities for growth on your desired career path: Leadership training, workshops, guest speakers from the industry, online Ubisoft learning platform, coaches, Experts and library.
- Company Pension Scheme. We offer an attractive scheme through salary sacrificing in which the employer also matches contributions
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month. In addition, we also offer 5 ‘care for ill children days’ per child per year.
- Discounted Games. We regularly order Ubisoft Games for super cheap prices for our employees.
- Gym Subsidy. We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice.
- Monthly Mobility Budget. 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket.
- Our Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy offers multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas.
- English and German classes for free. Main language in the studio is English.
- Free fresh Fruit, Coffee, Tea and Water. Enjoy fresh fruit and beverages in our office.
We offer a highly motivating challenge for team players interested in showing personal initiative in an innovative and international company. If you are passionate about video games and would like to join an industry leader - please apply via our career portal.
For further information, please check https://mainz.ubisoft.com/en/