- Kyiv, Ukraine, 02000
Ubisoft’s 19,000 professionals, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and community can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown
Reporting to the Development Director, the Technical Director (TD) will work on shaping and delivering the strategy for the Technical Department in Ukraine QC studio.
On a local level the TD will cover multiple projects and manage an on-site team of developer. On a worldwide level the TD will operate in a matrix environment reporting to the worldwide Development Director and working as peer to the TDs in other Ubisoft Studios.
The ideal candidate has a high interest in creating complex systems and working on process and feature automation in a game development paradigm.
- Experience in a technical leadership position, growing teams that report into you
- Solid experience in a senior technical role, responsible for entire applications or large components of a complex application.
- Expert in one of the coding languages: C++ or C# with a strong understanding of scripting languages like Python.
- Excellent leader and communicator; able to motivate, influence, and inspire at all levels.
- Able to articulate a strong vision of technology as a means to customer value.
Will be a plus:
- Relevant experience working on AAA titles, old or new-gen consoles
- Knowledge of ML
- Delivered projects in software automation
DEFINE TECHNICAL DIRECTION
Set the technical vision for the Ukraine QC Studios Technical Department in alignment with the WWQC structure and partnering with Technical Directors from our other studios. Implement this vision in collaboration with the lead programmers from your teams. You will contribute to defining and promoting the future of automation in Ubisoft. Make this vision happen.
- TECHNOLOGY - Define the technology that is the most adapted to the different products you will work on. This will require an understanding of:
- the full stack technologies;
- the different challenges each game and the different game types will face.
- the operational challenges of AAA production pipeline;
- the specificities of each gaming platform (consoles, PC, mobile, streaming).
- BEST PRACTICES - Ensure that the automation is being built with the right methodology and best coding practices. This will include coding standards, SOLID design principles tech briefs, code reviews and keeping in mind long term quality with the expectation for code sharing and reuse.
- ANTICIPATION - Identify future technical challenges, take them into consideration and drive the technology to be ready on time.
- STRATEGY - Work and set the direction from a long-term perspective, not only focusing on the immediate next milestone or current hot topic. Contribute to a worldwide automation strategy as the voice of Ukraine.
- GROUP & INDUSTRY REFERENCE - Stay aware of the trends, the new technologies and can spot those that will help the project. Communicate and share to the group or industry about the technical innovations done by your team.
- INFLUENCE - Be one of the voices of tech automation within the Ubisoft group and local studio, make sure that technical constraints and challenges are understood and considered. Make regular internal and external communications and maintain a great team atmosphere.
- SUPPORT AND DELIVER - Coach Lead Programmers upon completion of the vision.
- INSPIRE - Regularly communicate the vision to the team, explain the challenges, highlight the successes and innovations. Propose and develop the best tools and dev processes to guarantee the team’s efficiency.
- DECISION MAKING & SHIPPING MINDSET - Take courageous decisions to define a clear technical frame for the projects and products you will develop, drive key tech decisions to lock design, ship the product and ensure its maintenance. Be the Gate Keeper of the products, particularly during their closing to ensure a smooth landing period.
- CHANGE OR CRISIS MANAGEMENT - In charge of any major change management needed to deliver on time and quality when tech is at risk.
STAKEHOLDERS & SERVICE PARTNERS MANAGEMENT
- INFORM - Regularly update stakeholders (Studio, HQ, Technical Directors from other studios) and Service Partners about department progress, roadmap, challenges, risks, decisions, etc.
- STAGE GATE - Participate to the definition and the elaboration of the automation checkpoint process together with WWQC Development Director and other stakeholders.
- LEVERAGE UBISOFT ECOSYSTEM - connect with the rest of the group, get the most of the what already exists.
- COLLABORATION - Foster a collaborative approach, identify opportunities to set a win-win situation where our partners help us and we help them.
- OBJECTIVES - Set clear and ambitious objectives for your reports.
- 1-ON-1s - Meet at regularly for 1-1's to cover work, career and personal concerns.
- PRAISE - Give praise upon good achievements and re-enforce your reports' confidence.
- CAREER PATHS - Work with your reports to define motivating career paths for them.
- ATTITUDE – Lead by example with enthusiasm and commitment at all times.
- COACHING - Coach and Teach your reports how to grow.
- FEEDBACK - Manage and Provide feedback on their performance on a regular basis to help them to evolve in their role, including constructive feedback delivered timely.
- PERF ASSESSMENT - Carry out the performance assessments for direct contributors and take part in the process by validating the coherence and equity for the team he/she oversees.
- Propose solutions to improve the development of the projects in the studio.
- Identify and promote the application of best ideas.
- Grow the studio competencies and awareness.
- Share constructive experience internally and externally in the Group.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experience. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore and discover new possibilities.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.