Animation Technical Director
- Bucharest, Romania
Ubisoft Bucharest has been an important pillar for the local gaming industry since 1992, being the first Ubisoft production studio outside France. It has a strong history of contributing to iconic AAA franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs and Just Dance, and has helped develop a total of over 60 games. Today, the studio is the 2nd largest Ubisoft studio worldwide and continues to tackle the biggest challenges in gaming and technology, contributing to the creation of new and amazing games.
The Technical Director, Animation will determine, prepare, and adapt the animation tools used in production. The candidate will also train animators on the selected tools and methods and supervise the integration of the animation into the game engine.
The main and routine tasks of the Technical Director, Animation are to:
- Read the game design documents to determine the project’s technical animation needs;
- Specify animation needs to the programming team;
- Test the selected/developed engine, request improvements, verify all related documentation, and correct and\or produce new documents if necessary;
- Develop or find the best tools (e.g.: 3DS Max, Maya, MotionBuilder, etc) and methods to improve and facilitate the work of animators;
- Test the tools before they are deployed and ensure that they work properly throughout the production process;
- Create, organize, and carry out training sessions so that all animation team members are able to properly use the tools and methods;
- Produce documents on the tools, methods, training sessions, processes, and engine constraints for later reference;
- Coordinate and act as the point of contact between the animation and programming teams;
- Regularly communicate technical constraints and their rationales to the animation team;
- Establish the nomenclature of all of the files created by the animators so as to structure data location and facilitate retrieval;
- Provide constant technical support for the tools and engine to every member of the animation team;
- Supervise the design, integration, and validation of the in-game animations and cinematics in the engine and facial animation pipeline;
- Be the technical point of contact for all technical animation issues;
- Be the animation point of contact for others during knowledge-sharing activities;
- Carry out all related tasks.
What you'll bring as experience:
- College Diploma in game-oriented 3D animation technique or any other equivalent training;
- 7+ years’ experience in-game animation experience;
- 3 years as technical director animation / integration of game animation system is a must;
- Ability to write technical documentations;
- Customer service oriented and a team player;
- Experience on a minimum of 2-3 console games productions;
What you'll bring as a colleague:
- Good organizational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Good mentoring capacity;
- Leadership experience an asset.
Why choose Ubisoft Romania?
Ubisoft Romania is defined by three main pillars:
- Production: creates amazing games that have a strong impact on tens of millions of players around the world;
- IT: delivers reliable services and engineers products for Ubisoft’s community of players, game development teams and employees;
- Quality Control: guarantees a smooth and non-interrupted experience by maximizing the quality of the games.
You will have the chance to work with the latest technologies and collaborate with our talented teams from around the world.
We aspire to offer our employees an environment and culture where everyone can thrive. We offer a variety of perks that support physical, emotional and intellectual well-being such as health and benefit packages, opportunities for career development and learning, free access to bikes and a library at your disposal.
Find out more about Ubisoft Romania: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/studio/bucharest.aspx
Ubisoft’s 19.000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us Create the unknown.
If this sounds like you, please apply via our career portal. The application should include your resume, highlighting your experience, education and skills.