Technical Director, Audio
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading the development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Technical Director, Audio
As Technical Director for the Audio department, you will use your technical and creative skills to ensure that the vision of the Audio Director is successfully implemented in the game while supporting the audio team by designing audio systems of different levels of complexity, managing content and resources, and maximizing audio quality and aesthetic realization.
You are a senior Sound Designer or Audio Integrator by training with both technical and creative expertise. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will be a reference for team members, and will assist, support and advise colleagues whenever necessary. You may also be called upon as one of the project’s technical experts on a specific part of the audio design in the game such as weapons, vehicles, dialogue systems, music, etc.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Technical Director, Audio at Ubisoft Toronto
- Collaborate closely with the Audio Director and Sound Designers creating, improving and integrating audio features and content in the game using the middleware and the visual scripting tools in-game engine;
- Coordinate and act as a bridge between the audio department and other Technical Directors to ensure that audio features can be successfully integrated into missions, open-world systems, mini-games, DLCs, etc.;
- Identify technical audio needs for the project and communicate them to the technical architect and programming Team;
- Maintain the audio project structure ensuring that the audio workflow, system resources, filename conventions and audio quality is consistent;
- Create and design audio systems such as music systems, dialogue, navigation, weapons, vehicles, etc.;
- Design and improve audio tools with the programming department;
- Produce and maintain documentation about systems, techniques and best practices for other team members;
- Be the technical point of contact for all technical audio issues.
What it takes to make it
- Bachelor’s degree in music or audio, or professional training in audio;
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in audio production and implementation for video games;
- Must have shipped a minimum of one AAA game as part of a production team;
- Participated in the debugging process;
- Extensive knowledge of audio engines and middleware such as Wwise, Fmod, etc.;
- Knowledge of visual scriptings like Blueprint or node-based scripting interface;
- Extensive knowledge of audio pipelines for gameplay, narrative, and cinematics;
- Knowledge of DAW tools (e.g. Reaper, Pro Tools, Sound forge);
- Experience designing/creating tools (Python, LUA, C++, C#);
- Organization skills;
- Curiosity and drive to understand how things work;
- Solid team player;
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Adaptability, autonomy, proactivity;
- Structure, attention to detail, efficiency;
- Ability to understand and communicate in technical language;
- Passion for video games and the desire to have fun at work!
Nice to have
- Film or TV postproduction experience an asset;
- Good understanding of Office suite;
- Computer science training is an asset;
- Game design training is an asset;
- Experience with engines and/or other similar platforms.
• Competitive Salary
• Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation Assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.