- London, UK
Future Games of London is a Ubisoft studio that designs, develops and operates free-to-play mobile and digital console games. Founded in September 2009, FGOL create original and unique games such as the Hungry Shark series which has been enjoyed by over half a billion people worldwide.
We are a dedicated team with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy being part of a forward thinking studio in an exciting and ever-evolving industry.
Salary: Competitive Salary Offered
Posting Date: 6th May 2020
Closing Date: 5th June 2020
Location: London, UK
The ideal candidate:
Future Games of London is seeking a talented Server Engineer with experience in implementing and running massively scalable backend services for games/applications. Reporting to the Lead Server Engineer, the main responsibilities of the Server Engineer would be to contribute to design and then implement key modules for the backend. The ideal candidate will be capable of drawing on experience that will permit us to avoid pitfalls in backend design, delivering reliable and scalable solutions.
• Strong analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Open minded and humble
• Flexible and adaptable to unfolding project needs
• Interested in gaming
• Passion for high-volume concurrent systems!
• Take ownership and acting as the point of contact for tasks assigned to them
• Demonstrate initiative and implement features as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Deliver features to the level of quality expected of a world class developer
• Assist in defining tasks in sprint planning
• Assist the Lead Server Engineer in writing technical design documents
• Participate in code reviews
• Take ownership of existing modules, extending and refactoring them.
• Proficient in Java or any other OOP language
• Practical knowledge of Redis or alternative technology
• Hands on experience of Docker
• Strong debugging skills, proven in multi-instance server environments
• Can breakdown and estimate tasks accurately
• Analysis of existing modules of reasonable complexity and extend it within given time constraints
• Experience in source control solutions, preferably git or Perforce.
• Able to work independently with minimum supervision
• A degree in Computer Science or the equivalent in experience
• 2+ years of experience of programming with either Java or any other OOP language
• Worked in an Agile environment
• Worked on and maintained a SaaS solution with 1K+ DAU
• Experiences working with Kubernetes
• Exposure to AWS; EC2, EB, DynamoDB, Cloudwatch, etc.
• Exposure to CI pipelines, Jenkins or GitLab
• Developed server solutions for synchronous and/or asynchronous multiplayer games
• Familiarity with Unity and good understanding of network related challenges/limitations for client software
• Familiarity with Web JS frameworks such as Angular
- Flexible office working hours
- 25 days of annual leave + 8 UK Bank holiday + Christmas company day(s) off
- 1 day off if you get married (Wedding Day)
- Sick pay
- Fresh fruit selection delivered 3 times a week, Free monthly breakfasts, Team Lunches
- Beer fridge & Selected wines + other beverages
- Weekly Football, Pool table, ping pong tournaments, poker nights, Office events, social gatherings, Fun Games room
- Birthday Cakes/Cards
- Summer & Christmas parties, Roof terrace area
- Training Budgets
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare, Reduced gym membership, life insurance, critical illness & Disability cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan (for tube/rail costs), Annual mobile phone/tablet allowance
- Recruitment Referral Fee awards