Gameplay Network Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Ubisoft is composed of over 18,000 talented people located in 55+ development studios and offices across the globe. With more than 80% of our teams dedicated to creation, Ubisoft is the biggest in-house creative force in the industry.
Home to the North American Ubisoft headquarters since 1996, Ubisoft San Francisco opened its development studio in 2009 and since developed Rocksmith® and Rocksmith 2014, to teach millions of people how to play guitar and bass. With a song library of over 1,500 songs and 9 years of support the Rocksmith franchise helped millions of players around the world on their musical journey. In 2017, the studio released the critically acclaimed South Park™: The Fractured But Whole™, in collaboration with Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and South Park Digital Studios. The studio is currently working on two unannounced projects.
Ubisoft’s worldwide network of video game development studios and business offices work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on iconic brands including Assassin's Creed®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege®, Tom Clancy's The Division®, For Honor®, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more. Ubisoft is a global leader in the video games and entertainment software industry.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching player’s lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore and discover new possibilities.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Take entertainment to the next level. Join us and create the unknown.
When you’re a Game Network Programmer at Ubisoft San Francisco, you have direct influence over the quality of the game’s online experience. You are entrusted with developing the game’s low-level network features, integrating the game engine with our online services, and optimizing network performance. You are part of a team that holds the player’s connected experience at the core of its mission.
During the game’s development, you commit yourself to answering the most fundamental questions: Will the game be as responsive as possible in multiplayer matches? Does the latency meet a pro-gamer’s expectations? Is the experience as seamless as it can be?
As a dependable member of a cohesive online game team, you will participate in the design, coding, testing, integration and debugging of the game’s networking and multiplayer engine features. You care about providing our players with the ultimate multiplayer experience they deserve.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Optimize low-level networking systems to improve latency
- Integrate online services into the game engine
- Collaborate with other engineers to improve the game’s network replication
- Educate content creators and gameplay engineers on how to maximize network reliability and replication
- Develop networking code to interact with backend systems for new gameplay features and data collection
- Maintain and extend documentation on network-oriented features and systems
- Debug and optimize existing gameplay networking
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related area
- 3+ years of experience in C/C++
- Shipped at least 2 games doing network-oriented gameplay engineering for PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox360, PC or MacOS
- Understanding of computer and console game networking systems and technologies (e.g. peer-to-peer and client/server models, latency compensation, etc.)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work as a part of a team
- Self-directed, focused, and detail-oriented
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Employer HSA contribution (with enrollment in a HSA eligible medical plan)
- 401k match
- Paid vacation, holiday and sick time
- Fitness, physical, and esports challenge reimbursements
- Rocket Lawyer online legal service membership
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Pawternity – paid time off to bond with a newly adopted pet
- Sabbatical leave available after five years of employment
- Generous discount on new Ubisoft games
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status and will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.