Technical Director, Art
- Toronto, Canada
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Technical Director, Art at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Technical Director, Art at Ubisoft Toronto, you have the highest level of understanding of what our tech can do, can’t do, might do, and the visibility on the project as a whole. You’re responsible for providing expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Working with other directors early on, you discuss intentions before making any commitments. You take into account not only measurable factors such as rendering, performance, and memory but also intangible ones like timing and momentum. Seeing the facts realistically, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice.
Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Technical Director, Art at Ubisoft Toronto
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision and determine technical feasibility;
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.);
- Assess existing tools and occasionally design custom ones to support art pipelines and workflows, and sustain the vision;
- Meet with technical artists and assistant technical art directors to share information and updates, enforce standards, set benchmarks, give feedback, etc;
- Resolve specific, complex, escalated issues and approve technical specifications;
- Prepare post-mortems and recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate graphic data;
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices and share them with our studios and the industry;
- Participate in recruitment to build the technical art team and foster their growth.
What it takes to make it
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling or equivalent;
- At least 5 years of art, technical art, or programming experience, or other related experience, and 3 years of leadership;
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce);
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills;
- Critical thinking, time management, and organizational capabilities;
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews and salary increases to help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
We host regular team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, on-site occupational therapy, flexible work hours, and continuing programs to promote a balanced life.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.