Senior Technical Artist (256)
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
Leverage knowledge of multiple disciplines within technical art to develop, document and support the game art pipelines and techniques used by the production teams on the project.
Technical Art Director
- Stay up to date on trends and methodologies in current and future graphics software and hardware to develop early planning of tools and processes;
- Participate in the development of technology road maps for the specific needs of the project;
- Maintain a balance between the creative vision of the projects and the technical budget restraints;
- Be aware of potential risks to the project and bring it to the attention of management;
- Collaborate with team leads to identify and develop art production processes and technologies that meet artists’ needs for creating high quality art with limited resources;
- Set and share best practices within the group;
- Be a reference for the team in relation to technical art and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Optimise content for memory and performance gains;
- Efficiently communicate and support messages from management;
- Assist in the development of training programs for artists as and when they are required;
- Provide feedback and advise team members on the project;
- Be involved in the development and rendering of artwork, models, animations and textures as and when required;
- Support the Technical Art Director in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Understanding and history of proficiency in using 3D graphics software such as 3DS Max, Maya etc. ideally on an advanced scripting level;
- Knowledge of data management software (such as perforce);
- Knowledge of platform strengths and limitations;
- Good knowledge of multiple art and animation pipelines;
- Knowledge of different hardware architecture;
- Working knowledge of scripting/programming using languages such as Max Script, Python, C Sharp etc.;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills;
- Knowledge of video bit rates, compression methods and other associated processes is desirable;
- Technical proficiency in areas of 2D and 3D art;
- Bachelor’s degree in art, design, technical discipline or other relevant training;
- 5 years’ minimum experience in technical art or other relevant experience;
- Shipped at least 1 game within the technical art discipline; preferably full cycle on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcaslte upon Tyne, UK