Lead Game Designer
- Royal Leamington Spa, UK
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
Lead and develop a team of game designers with a focus on the three pillars of Leadership at Ubisoft: Care about People, Drive Performance and Development and Lead in Complexity
Studio Design Manager
Game designers at all levels
- Build an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels and foster the team player culture;
- Plan, prioritise and set inspiring objectives for your team members all year long;
- Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
- Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
- Enable your team members to reflect and prepare their future in their role and at Ubisoft;
- Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
- Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
- Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
- Care about people: be exemplary and supportive;
- Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within your team.
- Utilise your experience and design knowledge to guide team members towards creating quality and efficient delivery of designs that are aligned with the vision of the Game Director/Creative Director
- Work with production, other team leads, and directors to help create task estimates and schedules for the team;
- Ensure your team participates in standard studio development processes;
- Balance any Game Design requirements with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
- Define good design practices and ensure they are carried out through regular peer reviews;
- Continually review the design processes to identify potential improvements;
- Be an advocate and ambassador for information sharing across projects;
- Be responsible for the hiring of any potential future candidates within the design team
- Supporting your manager in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Passionate about playing and making games;
- Excellent knowledge of the games industry;
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools (such as Perforce, Jira, etc.);
- Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of Game Designers
- Comprehensive working knowledge of applications related to documentation (such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Wiki etc.);
- Excellent working knowledge of current theories of gameplay and their practical applications;
- Strong understanding of 3Cs, usability and UI design best practices;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience managing and leading game designers;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;