Technical Lead - Network
- Québec City, QC, Canada
Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. The 500 talented people are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The technical lead will be the resource for technological issues in his field. The incumbent is a technical specialist who will assess issues in his/her field of expertise (technical or game console specialization) and be accountable for the technological choices and performances of the systems in which he/she specializes. The incumbent will continue to produce code and define best practices in his/her field of expertise.
* Oversee technical mandates from the CPI, TL or technical architect;
* Be a reference for team members for all technical issues in his/her field of expertise;
* Work as a senior programmer and help program high-risk elements in his/her field of expertise;
* Be proactive in suggesting enhancements and technological choices in his/her field of expertise;
* Assess performances on a regular basis and optimize systems in his/her field of expertise whenever necessary;
* Resolve the most complex technical issues in his/her field of expertise;
* Be a mentor in his/her field of expertise;
* Advise the architect and/or CPI by suggesting corrective measures to meet project objectives whenever necessary;
* Work with technical directors from other working units (design, graphic design, animation, sound, etc.) to ensure the efficiency of the systems in his/her field of expertise that are used by other teams;
* Carry out performance assessments in collaboration with the CPI;
* Carry out all other related tasks.
Related to the Network aspect :
- Work with the technical direction to implement the network architecture and the technological solutions which will be more suitable to the needs of the project
- Develop powerful, reliable network features, in collaboration with the gameplay and design teams
- Participate in the development of network infrastructures and performances optimization
- Be involved in the management of replication databases related to the gameplay components
- Participate in the implementation of game-server communications:
replication arbitration, communicate the statistics of the player, control of gameplay settings
- Participate in the development of post lunch architecture (patching, new content, ...)
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent.
The experience can overcome the lack of diploma
Minimum 5 years’ experience in programming on a specific console or in a specific field or other relevant experience.
Asset for the Network aspect :
Expertise in online architecture
Experience in online architecture related to the persistence of virtual worlds, instances, services
Experience in latency issues, disconnects, online replication related to the gameplay systems, AI, join in progress, dead reckoning
Experience in client and server programming
Experience in developing and optimizing network code in C++
Experience with multiplayer engines, distributed systems and multi-threading;
Experience developing network features on Microsoft and Sony consoles is an asset
AAA multiplayer game shipped is an asset
Experience with C# is an asset
Skills and Knowledge
* Analytical and synthesis skills;
* Problem-solving skills;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills;
* Autonomy and resourcefulness;
* Sense of initiative;
* Attention to detail;
* Flexibility in organizing work;
* Ability to work as part of a team;
* Ability to adapt to change;
* Results driven.