Lead Audio Designer
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
Represent the audio team within a collaborative multidiscipline environment; define and track the schedule for the team, manage and mentor team members, and be a key voice for the sound design of the project.
The Audio Team
• Build an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels and foster the team player culture;
• Plan, prioritise and set inspiring objectives for your team members all year long;
• Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
• Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
• Enable your team members to reflect and prepare their future in their role and at Ubisoft;
• Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
• Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
• Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
• Care about people: be exemplary and supportive;
• Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within your team.
· Organise and coordinate the activities and resources required as part of the production process at all project phases;
· Plan, distribute and supervise project audio work;
· Challenge team members whenever necessary to ensure that all technical decisions are sound and based on facts;
· Provide visibility for the team on the progress of the deliverables and implement solutions to avoid gaps;
· Understand the game’s technical and artistic constraints and important aspects (story, gameplay, vision) to direct/coach the team;
· Review the work carried out by team members at the end of each project phase;
· Assess team morale, determining the root causes of issues and implementing relevant solutions;
· Optimise work methods and processes for the team that are adapted to project needs;
· Support collaboration and knowledge sharing within the team and with teams from other projects;
· Carry out all other related task.
Skills and Knowledge
· Knowledge of the other game production working units;
· Database knowledge an asset (JIRA, Perforce, etc.);
· Excellent knowledge of Pro Tools, Sound Forge and MIDI;
· Excellent musical knowledge as a musician and/or composer;
· Knowledge of current engines an asset;
· Leadership skills;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Sense of initiative.
· 5 years’ minimum experience in audio for video games or other relevant experience;
· Bachelor’s degree in sound design or other relevant training;
· Experience managing a team of people in a professional environment;
· Proven track record in audio design having shipped at least 2 games within the audio design discipline; preferably full cycle on a ‘AAA’ console title.