Senior Level Designer (211)
- Royal Leamington Spa, UK
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
The Level Designer will work within a multidisciplinary team, create game levels and/or implement gameplay situations based on the creative vision, while acting as a reference for team members on the project.
- Prototype and design the game environment, establish the layout and suggest ways to use interactive and static means to create engaging levels for the player;
- Participate in the creation and tuning of the level according to the design and creative vision of the project;
- Contribute to the design, testing and development of new features or tools;
- Understand and apply guidelines within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Ensure that the flow, timing, pace of the level and the distribution of the gameplay elements, add variety and are in line with the level’s place within the game;
- Understand and apply appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within levels, and leverage emotional reactions from players;
- Anticipate and be a proactive problem solver;
- Contribute to the definition of the quality benchmarks and best practices in accordance with the project's creative vision;
- Create improved document frameworks or templates for the level design team and update any relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Produce planning schedules that prioritise responsibilities with accurate time estimations;
- Understand and apply data analysis as part of the teams design process;
- Participate in the playtest process by observing and analysing player actions to generate feedback that contributes to the iterative design process;
- Work in collaboration with a dedicated level artist, members of the narrative group and the Technical Level Design team;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work for the team;
- Assist the lead level designer with regular reviews of level design content, providing feedback in line with the creative vision best practices and with any ad hoc tasks or duties;
- Collaborate with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by sharing relevant information, coordinating issue responsibility and resolving any reported issues;
Skills and Knowledge
- Has shipped at least one first or third Person AAA console title as a senior level designer
- Experience in Open World creation
- Experience in Collaboration
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (such as python, LUA etc.);
- Strong knowledge of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Strong knowledge of level editors.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce etc.);