- Québec City, QC, Canada
Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. The 475 talented people are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The technical architect will analyze, recommend and/or select the best technical directions in order to maximize the project’s production capacity. Possessing an extensive knowledge of the engine code, the incumbent will establish the memory budgets and be accountable for engine performance. By supporting new and existing developments, the technical architect will produce code and set out best practices for the programming team.
The main and routine tasks of the technical architect are to:
* Define the technological vision and lead the design of a new engine or new features and tools when current options do not meet project needs;
* Determine any necessary engine and tool enhancements to meet project needs and ensure the feasibility of these upgrades;
* Ensure the coherence, efficiency, scalability, modularity and compatibility of the features developed by the team;
* Analyze and resolve engineering issues pertaining to the engine, tools and/or middleware;
* In collaboration with the technical directors, communicate the technical constraints of the engine and tools to team members to inform them on production options and related best practices;
* Define the measures required to ensure the engine’s optimal performance (FPS, memory consumption, etc.);
* Act as a point of contact for all technical issues pertaining to the engine and tools;
* With the technical directors and in keeping with technical constraints, ensure that project teams (graphic design, animation, etc.) have the tools required to produce content;
* Evaluate existing engines and tools at Ubisoft (or outside Ubisoft) to determine their strengths and weaknesses and recommend those that best meet project objectives and expectations;
* Anticipate technological advances, understand the issues brought about by new hardware (e.g. new consoles) and implement software systems that support these changes and possibilities;
* Draft documents on the engine and tools for later use or reference;
* Carry out all other related tasks.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent.
* Minimum 7 years’ experience in programming or any other relevant experience.
Skills and Knowledge
* Good analytical and synthesis skills;
* Ability to resolve complex issues;
* Autonomy and resourcefulness;
* Sense of initiative;
* Attention to detail;
* Flexibility in organizing work;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills;
* Ability to work as part of a team;
* Ability to adapt to change;
* Results driven;
* Hardware knowledge;
* Extensive knowledge of leading video game tools, consoles and technologies is mandatory.