Lead Gameplay Programmer
- Barcelona, Spain
Ubisoft Barcelona, part of Ubisoft’s international network of production studios, has developed for over 20 years a strong expertise in the production of videogames from a large variety of genres and platforms. The Studio is continuously looking to grow its team with highly professional, passionate and talented people.
During these years, the studio worked on the following franchises: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon®”, “Assassin’s Creed®” , “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” or “Star Trek™: Bridge Crew” on VR…
The team is currently working on the “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” Live Game, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Assassins Creed III Remaster
The successful candidate will work within a collaborative multidiscipline environment implementing gameplay features that meet project’s design requirements. Responsible for defining and tracking the schedule for his team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team, and being an evangelist for the project.
This is a permanent position based in Barcelona, and requires working onsite.
- Leading and managing a team of Gameplay Programmers
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the gameplay engineering team and track development efforts across the team
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the gameplay engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews.
- Ensure coding standards are followed, and help to enforce good programming practices within the engineering team
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team.
- Incentive and coordinate knowledge sharing within the team through trainings/talks.
- Optimize code and data for memory usage and performance as required.
- Write debugging tools for programmers, level designers and artists.
- Passionate about playing and making games.
- Experience with leading and managing a team of gameplay programmers - knowledge of the pitfalls and key learnings of driving a team forward on an AAA Project.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience.
- At least 4 years of videogames development experience with significant involvement in 2 published AAA games, with at least 1 project at senior level.
- Able to analyze and debug unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module.
- Has knowledge and experience driving an agile methodology within a team.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce.
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools - Jira, etc..
- Ability to review and give feedback on teams work in a clear and constructive manner.
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent english oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of console games development is a plus