Harm Reduction Navigator
- 2287 Ellsworth Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
As the only comprehensive AIDS service organization in its Michigan ten-county area, UNIFIED's mission is to provide HIV related services to the community through compassionate direct care, prevention and outreach activities. We invite you to explore UNIFIED and learn about HIV testing, the depth of services UNIFIED provides and how you can get involved.
- Provide referrals to our Harm Reduction Case Manager and Harm Reduction Therapist, along with harm reduction information and supplies for participants, including naloxone training.
- Work with the Harm Reduction Case Manager to provide clients with the emotional and tangible support they need to meet their self-identified goals.
- Assist in Safety First drug education and other workshops online.
- Host a safe virtual platform for various support groups, including Harm Reduction Works, Family Drug Support, and specific support groups for people who use drugs and those engaged in sex work.
- Provide flexible and tailored support based on each service user’s needs, including advocating for their well-being.
- Provide support through harm reduction education and risks reduction supplies, including safer substance use, safer sex, STIs, and Naloxone administration including documentation of services
- Interact with community members and build relationships with them through non-judgmental, respectful and welcoming communication
- Complete other various tasks as directed by the Harm Reduction Manager
- Past or present direct lived experience with substance use and related health and social conditions such as poverty, sex work, homelessness and/or other physical or mental health challenges
- Current knowledge of the local street scene and cultural norms related to street life and substance use
- Good interpersonal skills, including comfort approaching and initiating conversation with others and ability to build good rapport
- Excellent communications skills including active listening and ability to engage in difficult and sensitive conversations in an empathetic and respectful manner
- Understanding of the importance of confidentiality and boundaries
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a team environment
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to harm reduction principles and practices
- Dependability and ability to show up for shifts agreed upon with supervisor
- Interest in learning and eagerness to educate participants with a non-judgmental attitude
- Good working knowledge of local health and social services
- Ability to follow direction, provide/receive feedback, and engage in proactive problem solving
- Current, valid driver’s license is required, as duties may include assisting clients with transportation
- Ability to practice cultural humility and engage with diverse populations (including BIPOC and LGBTQ+ individuals)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.